Kiva Public Relations Intern (79-557)Bookmark This
875 Howard Street
San Francisco, CA
Kiva.org was founded upon the fundamental principle that connecting people through lending can help alleviate poverty. To ensure that it succeeds, the company, along with its user base, provides borrowers with the seed capital needed to generate income, and thereby live a life of sustainability and independence. So far, this approach has enabled Kiva to raise $437 million in loans for 1,051,000+ entrepreneurs in 68 countries, momentum which it looks to continue in the coming years as it positions itself to achieve $1 billion in loans across a variety of sectors by 2015.
Kiva Public Relations Intern Role:
The Public Relations Intern role is part of Kiva’s Marketing and Communications (M&C) team. The M&C team is primarily responsible for introducing Kiva to potential new lenders, bringing them to Kiva’s “front door.” The PR intern role fulfills several critical support roles to bolster Kiva’s communications efforts in broadcast, print and online media. Kiva operate as a “start-up” in that we move fast, everybody counts, and your contribution has the potential to make a big impact on Kiva and the world at large. For 2013, Kiva has an ambitious media plan with several stories that need to be developed, well-researched, written, and pitched to news/consumer media outlets. The Public Relations Intern is a key part of creating and executing these plans. This is an unpaid internship.
The Public Relations Intern is primarily responsible for conducting interviews with media sources, tracking and reporting pick-up, writing stories, developing fact sheets and writing op-eds, press releases, and pitches. The intern will also assist in developing and executing overall communications plans and strategies. This is a job for someone interested in each aspect of journalism, finding the news angle, investigating the facts, writing compelling stories and tracking results. In return, the intern will receive support and professional development in each of the areas above. The successful candidate will be experienced in or curious about international development and/or microfinance; have strong writing skills; able understand complex information; and have experience conducting primary research for the purpose of developing reliable, factual background documents.
- Assist in media tracking and maintenance of Kiva’s media database in Vocus.
- Assist in identifying key reporters and bloggers to pitch stories to.
- Conduct information finding interviews among Kiva staff, fellows and partners for story development.
- Conduct research identifying academic, government and organizational studies for fact-sheet development.
- Write and edit press releases, op-eds, columns, and other materials.
- Assist in preparing spokespeople for media interviews including writing talking points, providing background on the reporter or their outlet, and finding story lines and facts relevant to the interview.
- Assist in responding to media requests for information.
- Participate in editorial meetings to brainstorm story ideas and media opportunities.
- Participate in strategy sessions to help map out communications plans, deliverables, timelines, and main message development.
- Prefer candidates with journalism or public relations experience and/or degree. Candidates with experience in other fields requiring strong research and writing skills will also be considered.
- Strong research, writing and communications skills are a must.
- High level internet community knowledge and computer skills (social media channels, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with a wide variety of people.
- Ability to problem solve and make decisions individually and/or within a team.
- Ability to prioritize, handle a variety of tasks and be self-directed.
- Strong commitment to ethics, honesty, and integrity in conducting business.
- Ability to interact effectively with people of other cultures, capacities, and organizations.
- Flexibility and the ability to take on projects as they come up.
- Desire to work in a fast-paced collaborative environment.
- Familiarity with database programs is a plus (content management systems, Salesforce, Access, Filemaker Pro, Cision, Vocus, etc.).
- Opportunity to join one of the highest-profile nonprofits in the world.
- Experience coordinating global marketing efforts for a large audience.
- References gladly given to successful interns.
Resume and cover letter required. Please specify your availability in the cover letter.