Public Relations InternBookmark This
University of MO Extension SBTDC Cape Girardeau County
684 W Jackson Trail
DescriptionThe University of Missouri Extension SBTDC of Cape Girardeau County is a very aggressive, fast paced client focused business development center. We servenine counties in Southeast Missouri and our clients consist of start up and growth focused entrepreneurs. We provide services related to helping busineses get started, marketing, business planning, focusing on solutions to problems they are having, and training on entrepreneurial topics to name a few.
The successful applicant will be working with an award winning 20+ year vetern in the marketing/advertising/public relations industry. As a previous owner of three businesses, he understands the entrepreneur mind and will work hard to help the client succeed.
The internship will be housed at the center located at 684 W Jackson Trail in Jackson, MO. Some travel may be required but expenses will be reimbursed. This address is the location of the University of Missouri Small Business Technology Development Center of Cape Girardeau County.
The hours of the internship are flexible depending on your schedule and total credits you need.
I want to do internships for students becasue the one I had allowed me to really see the professional world outside of books and had a lot to do with me getting my frist job in advertising. I also learn more form the students with their can do attitude. Students see things differently and I like that because it gives me a new set of ideas.
Responsibilities- Assist in developing and contributing to public relations and marketing activities
- Interact with internal departments to carry out client requirements such as scheduling advertising; monitoring account activities; and managing production activities
- Coordinate with news media as assigned, in development of appropriate news stories
- Maintain up-to-date customer and prospect records
- Other duties as assigned in relation to the various projects
-Monitor media for client information
-Plan special events as needed
-Write news/feature articles for clients
-Pitch story ideas to media
Set up interview for clients
Prepare clients for interviews
Attend professional events as able
Requirements- Excellent communication skills and the ability to inform and entertain via written, oral and visual media.
- Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods.
- An innovative self-starter with problem solving skills, creativity, ambition, and a strong work ethic.
- An understanding of media and how to use it to solve the client's problems
-Have an ability to ask questions on what not understand but also take direction and act on it
-Be able to understand deadlines and meet them
- Team work is important and knowing how to work as a team
-Handle multiple projects simultaneously