Open Road Integrated Media
345 Hudson Street
New York, NY
Posted: November 10 2015
Application Deadline: Available Year-round
Position: 10 Part-time, Paid
Always be on the alert for potentially fraudulent job postings online - never send money to a potential employer.
DescriptionWho We Are
Open Road Integrated Media is a digital publisher and content company with a focus on revitalizing backlist books in a digital format. The marketing team works to continuously promote our authors and their books in a vibrant, fast-paced environment.
Our internships offer a breadth of work experience to current college sophomores–seniors and recent graduates. Interns gain invaluable exposure to ebook production, sales, marketing, and the publishing world. Over the course of the program, interns will have the opportunity to increase their knowledge of the industry at team meetings, topical “Lunch & Learn” seminars, and “brown bag” lunches with members of other departments.
For more information about Open Road and our growing network of social websites inspired by our authors and titles, see www.openroadmedia.com.
Open Road offers internships in marketing, editorial, publicity, sales and analytics.
Please indicate your preferred department in your cover letter. To apply, click:
ResponsibilitiesDigital Editorial Interns
The digital editorial department runs two community entertainment websites: The Lineup and Feed Your Need to Read. The Lineup publishes stories for fans of mysteries, thrillers, and horror, and Feed Your Need to Read covers a variety of bookish topics and reading recommendations. Interns working in this department can expect to:
• Research story ideas
• Write pitches and stories for two websites
• Source photographs for stories
• Work in a content management system
• Learn about search engine optimization
The focus of the publicity / public relations department lies in strategically promoting the works we publish and they contributors who write and illustrate them. Interns working with our publicity / public relations team can expect to:
• Assemble mailings
• Research and compile organized media lists
• Write press materials
• Work on a mix of genres, including: historical fiction, nonfiction, sci-fi, romance, lifestyle, and children’s titles
Note: Knowledge of Cision is a plus.
The sales team strives to gain placement for our titles in a variety of areas, including online retailers, subscription services, independent bookstores, libraries, the education market, and special markets. In addition to other projects, interns on the sales team can expect to:
• Research potential accounts and assemble contact lists
• Assist with retail and promotional projects
• Help organize mailings and outreach
• Create content related to promotional campaigns and partnerships for social media platforms, especially Twitter and Facebook
Insights & Analytics Interns
The Data and Marketing Analytics team provides data gathering, reporting, and analysis to all Open Road departments. Interns in this role will support the data and marketing analytics team in putting meaningful data to meaningful use. You should have a passion for data and how it can impact decision-making, be curious, and have an eagerness to learn. Additionally, these skill sets are required:
• Advanced Excel skills
• Familiarity with web analytics, social monitoring tools, and database management
• Experience with SQL or other query language a plus
RequirementsWho We Are Looking For
Open Road Media is always on the lookout for enthusiastic, motivated interns who are eager to learn and willing to do what it takes to get the job done. Requisite qualifications include:
• Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
• Excellent time-management and attention to detail
• Ability to research
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office and social media platforms
• Knowledge of HTML and Adobe Creative Suite is a plus
• Interest in pursuing a career in sales, marketing, and/or book publishing is a plus
Internships last on average, 12–15 weeks. The office is located in downtown Manhattan. Scheduling is flexible. Ideal applicants are able to receive course credit.
The marketing department is divided by verticals/genres, which include literary fiction, mystery and thriller, science fiction and fantasy, nonfiction, lifestyle, romance, and children’s. In addition to other projects, interns on each team can expect to:
• Conduct blogger and reviewer outreach
• Assist with the development of campaigns
• Assemble mailings and marketing reports
• Create and/or design content for social media platforms and the Open Road blog
Marketing Operations Interns
The marketing operations team manages a variety of projects that involve metadata, discoverability, and ebook promotion, and management of content for our web properties and email marketing programs. Interns working with ops can expect to:
• Assist with research in support of various initiatives
• Work in source systems to ensure that our marketing metadata is up to date
• Help create and update internal process documentation
• Write original content for our consumer-facing digital channels
• Pitch in on mailings and other outreach