Editorial / Journalism InternLocale Lifestyle Magazine, LLC
Senior EditorPulse, LLC
Book ReviewerPulse, LLC
Editorial / Journalism InternMcFarland & Company, Inc., Publishers
Digital Media InternAmerican Technical Publishers
Illustrator InternAmerican Technical Publishers
Editorial InternAmerican Technical Publishers
Fall Editorial Intern for Publishing CompanyUrbanEdge Publishing
Xander Magazine Layout Editor (Internship)Bookmark This
Xander Magazine LLC
Posted: October 10 2015
Always be on the alert for potentially fraudulent job postings online - never send money to a potential employer.
DescriptionLayout editors do most of their work on computers. They manipulate design properties, such as type size, font style, spacing, column width and placement, using software that allows them to view each page as it would appear in print.
A Layout designer is is responsible for the look of a publication. Layout designers build advertisements and graphics and use photos and other forms of artwork to create covers and inside pages. They need to be highly innovative and able to understand their magazine’s demographic, analyze trends and pay close attention to what the competition is doing.
Designers select typefaces and fonts for the magazine’s cover and headlines and create the artwork that is used with each story, knowing how the elements complement each other. They add variations to the all-important “flag,” or the title of the magazine that appears at the top of each issue and acts as the publication’s trademark or logo. Some design accompanying websites as well.
Responsibilities- Assists in the design and development of layouts for marketing materials, using appealing graphics that are well organized
- Responsible to incorporate current design trends into each unique layout to produce an up-to-date style for custom ads
- Ability to exercise good judgment when interpreting instructions and to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions
- Utilize strong written skills and bring effective visual ideas from concept through to completion
Requirements- Working towards a BA or certificate from a Fine Arts program/Graphic Design school
- Experience with Adobe InDesign, and proficiency in Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator
- Knowledge of Mac OS and software upgrades and proficiency in Microsoft Office programs
- Must be a team player and flourish in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
- Open to constructive criticism and customer feedback