Broadcast/Radio InternshipBookmark This
District of Columbia
DescriptionemPower magazine is an online publication that focuses on social issues affecting African Americans and challenges readers to take action. Beginning in February, the publisher of the magazine will begin hosting a weekly radio show called emPower Hour at a Washington D.C. FM station. The weekly show will have the same theme as the magazine. We are looking for a broadcast intern to assist with the radio program.
ResponsibilitiesThe candidate will be responsible for:
- Researching and screening guests
- Greeting guest in the studio
- Screenings listeners' calls during emPower Hour's airing
- Corresponding and booking on-air guests
- Posting question of the week to social media and screening responses from listeners to be aired
- Editing and archiving show's audio
- Researching and suggesting show topics and potential guests
- Assisting with live audio board
- Participating on-air periodically
- Photographing guests and posting on Instagram
RequirementsPotential candidates must be pursing an undergraduate or graduate degree in communications, broadcasting or journalism. Previous radio industry experience is preferred. Must have knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel as well as Wordpress. Previous experience with digital editing software such as Adobe Audition, ProTools, Cool Edit, etc. is preferred.
This is a college credit internship with a time commitment of 15 hours per week. This is a partial virtual internship with five to six hours spent in the studio once or twice a week and the remaining 10 hours spent doing administration and show prep remotely.
The right candidate will have excellent written and oral communication skills, good project management and planning skills, willingness to take initiative and to follow through on projects, and a passion for social justice.
Email your resume and a letter of interest to internship [at] empowernewsmag [dot] com.