Fall 2014 Peacemaker Internship - ResearchBookmark This
Massachusetts Peace Action
11 Garden St
DescriptionMassachusetts Peace Action is seeking students, recent graduates, or young activists who can commit 10+ hours per week for at least 10 weeks between September and December. The internship is unpaid, but a stipend of $300 will be paid on completion. Start and end dates are flexible but the student should be able to work at least 10 weeks during the term. Our office is located in Harvard Square, Cambridge.
Massachusetts Peace Action is a statewide membership organization working to develop the sustained political power to foster a more just and peaceful U.S. foreign policy. Through grassroots organizing, policy advocacy, and community education, our priority issues for 2014 are: promote reductions in the military budget to fund programs that address jobs, the environment and human needs; end the war in Afghanistan and prevent one with Iran; and abolish nuclear weapons.
The Research intern will focus on understanding the military-industrial complex in Massachusetts and its involvement in the political system.
Responsibilities• Search public sources to find information on military-industrial contractors and installations
• Connect with peace campaigners and researchers to share information and plan campaigns
• Write and present a report on your findings
• Draft educational and promotional materials (e.g. fact sheets, reports)
RequirementsYou must demonstrate:
• Your understanding of the global and domestic effects of U.S. militarism
• Your commitment to grassroots organizing for progressive social change
• Strong writing, analytical and interpersonal skills
• That you are a self-starter
• Desire to work as part of a small team in a grassroots setting