Research AnalystQuorum Federal Credit Union
Marine Science InternshipGlobal Treks and Adventures
Document Investigator Summer 2016 InternshipLauth Investigations International
Startup Wisdom Discovery InternStartup Temple
Technical Writing InternICAST
Growing Multi Media concept(s) needs Administration ProsiVisume.com
Summer 2016 Sales Business Analyst Intern (Graduate)Soligent Distribution, LLC
Research InternIMPACT Leadership 21
Historic Map Collection InternBookmark This
DC Public Library Special Collections
901 G Street NW, 3rd Floor
Posted: July 17 2014
Always be on the alert for potentially fraudulent job postings online - never send money to a potential employer.
DescriptionThe DC Public Library Special Collections Department is seeking an intern to work with our historic Washingtoniana Map Collection. The map collection consists of about 8,000 maps of the Washington, D.C. area, dating from 1612 to the present. Currently, searching the collection is limited to a card catalog. The intern will have considerable input in determining how to make this collection electronically accessible. Selected maps from the collection are currently being digitized as part of an exciting grant-funded project with MapStory.
ResponsibilitiesThe intern will lead and/or participate in the following activities:
- Coordinate public outreach and public programming to promote digitized map collection
- Create "map stories" using the digitized historic maps (see mapstory.org)
- Continue work on an inventory of the collection
- Create a searchable database and/or finding aid
- Create metadata and input into CONTENTdm
- Some minor preservation work, such as refoldering and ensuring that maps are properly stored
RequirementsThis Special Collections internship is open to current MLS students (or graduate students in related History or Geography programs). Applicants must commit to a semester-long, 120-hour internship working for the Special Collections Department. Interns are expected to commit to 10-20 hours per week, possibly to include evenings or weekends.
- A strong interest in maps and map librarianship required
- Must be a current MLS student (or a graduate student in a related program, such as History or Geography)
To apply, email email@example.com with your resume and a statement of why you would like to intern with the map collection and what you hope to learn from the experience. Indicate whether you are requesting a for-credit internship, and the timeline for development and approval of the field study contract that is required by your school.