Oyster Aquaculture InternLynnhaven Oyster Company, LLC
Blue Hill Bay Microplastics Monitoring Internship 2014Marine Environmental Research Institute (MERI)
Blue Hill Bay Coastal Monitoring Internship 2014Marine Environmental Research Institute (MERI)
Cape Ann Whale Watch Field Research and Environmental Education InternshipCape Ann Whale Watch
Mining Green and Environmentally FriendlySleepy Bear Mining, LLC
2014 Summer InternshipBookmark This
Virginia Bioinformatics Institute at Virginia Texh
900 N. Glebe Road
DescriptionSocial and Decision Analytics Laboratory (SDAL) Seeks Students for Virginia Tech Research Center at National Capital Region Campus in Arlington, VA
SDAL is seeking several students at all levels (bachelors, masters, and PhD) for 2014 Summer semester. SDAL is located a block from the Ballston Metro in Arlington, VA.
SDAL addresses social science issues in new ways that will transform the way we understand the world, such as understanding the creation of smart and resilient cities, what influences the spread of disease and constitutes an effective public health response, homelessness, the demand for science, technology, engineering, and math educated graduates, and drivers for innovation. In answering applied social science questions, SDAL’s goal is to advance research methods and tools to access, use, and analyze new sources of structured and unstructured data.
ResponsibilitiesDepending on the level of the student, (bachelors, masters, or PhD), some mix of the following social science research skills are needed:
• Framing study questions and completing literature reviews, interviewing experts, etc.
• Conducting descriptive and statistical analyses,
• Undertaking methodological work in statistics, surveys, data integration, confidentiality,
• Accessing and analyzing increasingly massive amounts of structured and unstructured data to inform our analyses, using statistical techniques Synthesizing findings for presentations and reports, and
• Writing journal quality articles.
Examples of methodological work include:
• Creating a digital library of SDAL datasets,
• Learn about visualization tools, describe characteristics of tools, and create criteria vis a vis VBI SDAL’s analytical needs. Presenting results using state-of-the art visualization tools.
• Research, access, and create codebook of variety of datasets needed by specific projects and potential projects.
• Develop statistical techniques and tools to solve infrastructural and methodological challenges.
• Microsoft skills, including database skills.
• Data analysis skills
• Critical thinking
• Depth in some area of social sciences, engineering, life sciences, or physical sciences
• Curiosity about the social structure of the world, policy issues, and interest in providing evidenced-based analyses to inform policymakers
• Appropriate level of independence, high motivation, good communication skills, strong work ethic, and ability to work individually as well as within high-performing and diverse team structures.
• Interest and some evidence of proficiency in data analyses and statistics (Bachelors /Masters level).
• Experience with statistical software systems, programming and data bases (PhD level)
• Experience in social computing and decision analysis, analysis of algorithms, simulations, large databases, complex networks and probabilistic methods of analyzing combinatorial studies (required for advanced and senior level ranks). (PhD level)
• Experience with using many sources of data, both traditional ones such as surveys, and unstructured ones, such as images, sensors, and social media. (PhD level)