NLU Research Intern
Nuance is a world-wide leader in speech and language technologies. The newly formed Nuance Silicon Valley Natural Language Research Laboratory is conducting research in next-generation intelligent conversational agents. Our research internship program is seeking outstanding doctoral students who would be interested in contributing to our work in Natural Language Processing, AI, and prototype systems. We invite applicants whose own research complements our ongoing work in these areas:
- Natural Language Processing: Discourse and dialog processing; anaphora resolution; multimodal generation; parsing; named entity recognition; morphology; multilingual NLP; semantic interpretation; content extraction
- AI and Reasoning: Knowledge representation and reasoning in support of NLU, particularly in relation to dynamic models of computational semantics; efficient reasoning in description logics, theorem provers and hybrid reasoning systems; the interaction between reasoning systems and very large scale conventional databases; collaboration-based models of dialog processing; pragmatic processing and explanation; and probabilistic reasoning for intent recognition and ambiguity management.
- Prototype Systems: Methods for integrating NLP and AI components in an existing prototype system to provide natural interaction in a specific domain; domain adaptation of named entity recognizers; dialog management and evaluation; ontology development.
Currently in a PhD Computer Science (or equivalent) Program.Overview:
Nuance's Mobility Division builds innovative, intelligent and intuitive touch and speech interfaces to simplify and enhance the way people interact with mobile devices, applications, and services. Nuance Mobile solutions make mobile devices and in-car systems easier to use, automate customer self-service, and optimize the access and discovery of even the most advanced mobile applications and content - regardless of technical know-how, location, environment, or physical and literacy capabilities.
Wed Analytics Intern
We all know that there is no shortage of data arising from the internet however Web Analytics Professionals must use their technical skills, understanding of the business, and knowledge of the needs of the customers of the business, to prepare and present information that forms the basis of key decisions i.e. they must be able to pull valuable information from the raw data.
Many might think analytics is a kind of back office role we would disagree. Effective Web Analytics professionals, especially those with good presentation skills, should have many opportunities to play a star role.
- Prepares useful information that drives effective decisions by Management from the mass of data.
- Presents information well in all formats written, verbal and using new media tools.
- Uses their analytical and mathematical approach to a problem to ensure rigor and accuracy (e.g. comfortable with concepts of significance, mathematical trending, modeling).
- Play a leadership role in specific online testing campaign execution by providing project direction, prioritization, and team member collaboration.
- Perform data analysis to support business needs. Types of analysis may include: online click-stream analysis, visitor purchase behavior, trend analysis, statistical modeling, and report development.
- Provide A/B testing methodology consulting and test design. Lead overall governance for all ongoing testing to ensure that tests are designed correctly or are in need of troubleshooting.
- Interfaces with Shop.Nuance.com business clients to understand business needs, propose analytical solutions, share results, and interpret results for insights with respect to online testing results.
- Set up and lead regularly scheduled online testing review meetings with business partners, provide testing prioritization, and assist in the training of testing methodologies.
- Communicate with project team/manager to share knowledge and manage expectations with business clients.
- Interface with Nuance Information Technology Services, as well as business clients, to translate methodologies into requirements for new and/or existing applications and works and tests to ensure high quality and stable implementations.
- Currently pursuing a BS or MS in Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Economics, Marketing, Finance or Business Administration.
- GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Knows how to use the best base tools (e.g. advanced Excel, PowerPoint, relational databases) as well as packaged tools such as Google analytics , Omniture etc.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills, ability to think critically, present technical results in to business partners, and derive key insights from these results.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to work independently as well as with cross-departmental teams.
- Experience conducting analysis using web analytical tools like Google Analytics, Adobe/Omniture, WebTrends, Coremetrics, or similar tools and data.
If Interested: Apply on line by March 15, 2013. Please include a cover letter as to why you are interested in the Internship role and why you want to work at Nuance.Overview:
At Nuance Communications, everything we do is focused on developing the most human, natural, intuitive ways to use your voice to take command of information. Our people and our technology have pioneered the highest functioning speech software in the world, ceaselessly perfecting the ability for machines to recognize and emulate the human voice. We design and deliver technologies that intuitively link man, machine and the global storehouse of knowledge to help companies and consumers work seamlessly and intelligently with the world.