Left Forum Social Media Strategist Internships Spring 2014 • Summer 2014Bookmark This
365 5th Ave
New York, NY
DescriptionContinuing a tradition that began in the 1960s, Left Forum convenes an international conference each year in New York City. The conference involves a broad spectrum of progressive intellectuals, organizers and academics, who come together to share ideas to transform the world; to better understand commonalities, differences, and alternatives to current predicaments; and to engage a wide range of critical perspectives on the world. Left Forum 2013 drew more than 4,000 participants for 350 panels. Recent featured speakers include Noam Chomsky, Arundhati Roy, Naomi Klein, Michael Moore, Amy Goodman, Cornel West, Bolivian Vice President Álvaro García Linera, Frances Fox Piven, Slavoj Zizek, and Grace Lee Boggs.
Left Forum seeks to fill Social Media Strategist internship positions for the Fall of 2013 and/or through the Spring and early Summer of 2014. This is a three to six month internship or a one or two semester internship and it can be scheduled according to the academic calendar year as needed. Fall internships start immediately.
This is an excellent opportunity to develop and hone your creative writing, social networking, communications and public relations skills while gaining valuable, high-profile experience in the academic and nonprofit arenas. The position can be molded to fit the individual’s strengths and interests.
We have recently launched a Video and Media Archive to bring the wealth of ideas and dialogues generated at the Left Forum conference to the world—or at least to the world via the Internet and social media sites. If you are interested in social media promotion, blog writing and overall maintaining Left Forum’s Social Media relevance, this internship is for you.
• Manage and develop social media networks while promoting conference panels, plenary, interviews and relevant articles
• Incorporate Left and progressive news articles into social media feeds; join team brainstorming sessions on video and social media, and promotional content/editing
• Help to develop Left Forum’s online presence as one which reflects its purposes: A convergence of Left and Progressive movements, organizations, and individuals
• Work with ally video and media outlets in the production of – and posting – of video footage
• Utilize multiple Social Media platforms and accounts.
• help to coordinate ally and volunteer editors, video technicians and panel administrators
• Initiate and contribute to marketing and social networking campaigns to promote the conference video and media archive along with outreach and networking on particular video topic area tracks that appeal to different constituencies.
RequirementsBACKGROUND AND DESIRED EXPERIENCE
• Previous digital and social media experience is preferred
• High level of attention to detail and seeing projects through to their completion
• Ability to work independently and remotely
• Ability to work effectively both individually and in a team
• Communications and/or marketing background is helpful
• Familiarity with web content management (Drupal or equivalent web design programs)and social networking
• Passion for grassroots organizing and social justice
We're a small organization with a dedicated group of organizers, staff, and volunteers, leaving lots of room for your creativity. You'll have the opportunity to work in an interesting (and relaxed) office in the CUNY Graduate Center in Midtown Manhattan where you'll be able to interact with scholars, graduate students and people who are involved with grassroots social justice movements.
This internship is unpaid, although academic credit is available. Hours are flexible—we ask for 15-20 hours a week—and can be adapted to fit your schedule. People with diverse backgrounds and experience are encouraged to apply.