Smithsonian Social Media InternBookmark This
The Smithsonian Associates (TSA)
1100 Jefferson Drive, SW - Suite 3077
The Smithsonian Associates advances the Institution’s mission “to increase and diffuse knowledge” through life enriching educational and cultural experiences inspired by the Smithsonian’s research and collections for DC-region students, families, and adults, and for learning communities nationwide.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES
• Create and customize profiles and pages on new and existing social media platforms
• Gain experience in communicating to a large audience and representing the Smithsonian brand
• Network with interns in TSA and across the Smithsonian
20 hours/week minimum; 1 full semester
Mon - Fri, timing flexible
Public Affairs Specialist and Donor Events Coordinator
All TSA Internships are unpaid and housing is not provided. College credit may be granted, but must be coordinated in advance with the intern's university/college.
S. Dillon Ripley Center, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C.
Complete the online application at http://intern.si.edu/. Click on the link for the Smithsonian Online Academic Appointment System (SOLAA). Questions can be directed to the Intern Coordinator at TSAInternships@si.edu or 202.633.8641.
Intern positions at The Smithsonian Associates are available year-round. For more information go to http://smithsonianassociates.org/ticketing/internships/start.aspx
Spring (January - May)
Summer (June - August)
Fall (September - December)
To be considered in the first round of applications, please submit your materials by the following dates:
Spring - October 1
Summer - February 1
Fall - July 1
Applications received after these dates will still be considered on an as-needed basis.
Prospective interns are required to submit the following:
1. Application for Smithsonian Institute Internships
2. Two letters of recommendation (usually from professors)
3. Recent writing sample (usually a paper written for school and at least two pages)
4. Most recent transcript (unofficial transcripts are acceptable)
Interns at the Smithsonian are required to undergo a security background investigation and fingerprinting through the Office of Protection Services before they are accepted into an internship.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE CONTACT
Ms. Meg Smolinski
PO Box 23293
Washington DC 20026-3293
For more information about internships with The Smithsonian Associates go to:
• Create new content and research relevant content to publish to The Smithsonian Associates’ Blog, Facebook, and Twitter accounts
• Update account profile information and customize profile design
• Monitor and respond to comments; engage fans and followers in conversation
• Research and implement new creative strategies for expanding social media reach
• Attend TSA events to develop content for blog and other social media platforms
• Assist with monitoring and reporting on the success of social media initiatives
• Enthusiastic about social media
• Excellent research and writing skills
• Professional demeanor, organizational and communication skills
• Ability to work independently and complete assigned tasks within identified timeframes
• Keen attention to detail when proofreading, copyediting, and fact-checking
• Comfortable utilizing Facebook, Twitter, Typepad, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, Tumblr, Hootsuite
• Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
• Ability to take and upload digital photos; photography experience a plus
The following student majors are desired for this intern position, but other areas of study will be considered: