Social Media Assistant (Closed for summer 2013 - Accepting applications for fall/winter 2013)Bookmark This
Santa Monica Pier Aquarium (Heal the Bay)
1600 Ocean Front Walk
Santa Monica, CA
DescriptionThe Santa Monica Pier Aquarium offers school groups, families and visitors a unique view into the ocean world right outside our doors. It is home to more than one hundred organisms native to the Santa Monica Bay. Interactive displays, touch tanks filled with tide pool animals, a shark tank exhibit and a microscope lab are some of the main features of the Aquarium. As Heal the Bay’s marine education facility, the Aquarium also strives to teach visitors about the importance of environmental stewardship and marine conservation.
The Social Media Intern will help in the research and development of content for the Aquarium’s social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram and the website blog. Interns will also assist with the monitoring and tracking of the effectiveness of these platforms.
Past experience with social technologies is a must and applicants should submit a list of personal social media accounts maintained with their cover letter and application. We are also looking for a candidate with strong writing skills as well as experience in photography, videography and/or graphic design/Photoshop. Interns will be supervised by the Aquarium’s Programs Manager and also work closely with Heal the Bay’s Communications team.
This internship requires a minimum of 5 month commitment with 8 hours of interning per week.
Responsibilities• Researching and developing content for the Aquarium’s social media platforms
• Documenting/ promoting the Aquarium’s animal collections, programs and behind the scenes activities as well as helping to selectively promote Heal the Bay’s social media campaigns
• Researching ways to promote the Aquarium’s social media campaigns in the Aquarium and around the community
• Monitoring the effectiveness of the Aquarium’s social media campaigns
Requirements• College age or above
• Excellent written communication skills
• Strong computer skills – including social media platforms
• Ability to take compelling photographs
• Ability to work independently as well as with a team
• Communications or related background
• Friendly and professional manner for working with the public