Internship in Software Development for an Early Stage Cloud Software CompanyBookmark This
Providence Metro Area
DescriptionMicroBiz is a provider of cloud-based retail management software for multi-channel, multi-store retailers.
We're looking for people who are interested in getting in on the ground floor of an incredible opportunity to work on the design, development, testing and implementation a cool new cloud-based retail point of sale software application that allows small retailers to operate their store and ecommerce businesses from a single application. The application has a easy-to-use and slick UI and will integrate with all the emerging retail technologies (mobile payments, locational-based product searches, mobile-based loyalty programs, etc.). It is written in HTML 5 and rides on a LAMP stack - so it runs on any Internet device (iPads, Android Tablets, PC's, Mac's, smart phones) and on any OS (Windows, iOS, Android).
MicroBiz was founded by two veterans of the retail management software market, and has an existing base of customers and a brand which has funded development of the new cloud-based solution to date. We recently went live with our new product. Given the demand and number of customers lined up to use the product, we need help working through any issues with early adopters, fine tuning our SaaS management platform as well as adding new features.
ResponsibilitiesIn this role you will work side by side with our Chief Architect to learn about our software, while you help develop bug fixes and feature enhancements.
As a smallish software company, there's always a great deal to do, so besides working on MicroBiz software they'll be other critical projects such as rolling out a secure SaaS management platform, improving our ecommerce systems and publishing an open API and integrating with other SaaS applications targeted at small businesses. In this role you'll be working with everything from legacy systems to the latest hot frameworks, loads of API's. It's a position for someone eager to learn and not afraid to roll up their sleeves and pitch in.
• Computer Science course work with a solid GPA (or at least a good excuse for not so solid grades)
• Demonstrated programming experience
• Broad technical curiosity
• Self-motivated learner
• Excellent command of written and spoken English
• Possess the ability to be a self-directed team player
• Ability to take a customer-focused approach to all tasks
• Interest and expertise with a variety of Open Source solutions
• Ability to effectively document and present technical concepts
• Understanding of Test Driven Development
Experience in some of the following preferred:
• Using PHP in LAMP environment
• Experience in MySQL
• Experience with MVC frameworks (YII and Backbone.js preferable as we are using these)
• OOP and development design patterns
• Test Driven Development
• REST API development experience
• Experience with Magento Ecommerce platform (and Zen framework)
• Formalized customer service (help desk, retail)
• Experience with retail operations (i.e. worked at or ran IT systems in a retail store)