Technology Savvy Volunteers: Teach Computers & Smartphones (Korean or Spanish Speakers a PLUS!)Bookmark This
Front Porch Center for Technology Innovation and Wellbeing
3000 Leeward Ave
Los Angeles, CA
DescriptionThe Front Porch Center for Innovation and Wellbeing (FPCIW) explores the innovative uses of technology to empower individuals to live well, especially in their later years. The Model eHealth Community for Aging project (MeHCA) focuses on deploying health-related, technology-based activities for a diverse population of seniors in Los Angeles and vicinity. The volunteer will provide basic computer/Internet training and health education to seniors at affordable housing and community sites.
- Promote resident participation in basic computer and Internet workshops, include designing and posting flyers, speaking with residents, and ensuring activity attendance.
- Nurture the development of community leaders to support project activities.
- Provide direct computer-based training to participants.
- Coordinate with project coordinator to set up for mobile computer lab.
- Support the development of curriculum, and research additional health-based resources on the Internet for English and Korean learners.
- Exercise high degree of sensitivity and privacy toward personal health information.
- Organize and prepare weekly lesson plans.
- Distribute, collect, and enter data from surveys following each workshop.
- Document activities and events through photos, notes, and other observations.
Time Commitment and Pay
- This is an unpaid, part-time volunteer position for 3-15 hours/week once a week during regular workday hours, Monday - Friday 8am-5pm as agreed upon between the volunteer and the FPCIW staff.
- Prefer minimum of 6 month commitment
Requirements- Proficiency and high comfort level with computers/technology.
- Excellent interpersonal and oral communication skills; ability to verbally express ideas assertively, clearly.
- Ability to teach technology to community members and colleagues with diverse backgrounds and technology proficiency.
- Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy in dealing with others to secure necessary information and cooperation from a variety of people.
- Korean/English or Spanish/English bi-lingual skills preferred.
- Must live 20 miles within site.