Brush up on Dramaturgy with the Artistic Team at SF Playhouse this Jan Term!The San Francisco Playhouse
Theatrical Intern - Off Broadway showRadiochick Inc
Set-Up Crew for EventsJ.inspired Events
Carpenter for Theater StageBees & Butterflies Performing Arts Inc.
Social Media & Community Management Intern for Off Broadway Solo Play about diversity!eyeBLINK
Smithsonian Discovery Theater Technical InternBookmark This
The Smithsonian Associates (TSA)
1100 Jefferson Drive, SW - Suite 3077
• The Smithsonian Associates (TSA) advances the Smithsonian Institution’s mission “to increase and diffuse knowledge” through life-enriching educational and cultural experiences inspired by the Smithsonian’s research and collections for DC-region students, families, and adults, and for learning communities nationwide.
ABOUT DISCOVERY THEATER
The Smithsonian's Discovery Theater is dedicated to offering the best in live performance for young people that celebrate the rich diversity of our region and our world. Each season we tap into the vast resources of the Smithsonian Institution to present relevant, culturally accurate entertaining programs. We offer dozens of interactive productions that feature puppets, storytellers, dancers, actors, musicians, and even mimes!
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES
• The tech intern will receive basic knowledge of how the technical aspects of a theater work as well as insight into the administrative side of technical theater.
• Possible training that may be offered includes SFX, sound & light boards, basic sound editing, sound and lighting design.
30 - 40 hrs/wk; 1 full semester – 1 academic year
Weekdays with an occasional weekend day or evening, flexible
All TSA Internships are unpaid and housing is not provided. College credit may be granted, but must be coordinated in advance with the intern's university/college.
Complete the online application at http://intern.si.edu/. Click on the link for the Smithsonian Online Academic Appointment System (SOLAA). Questions can be directed to the Intern Coordinator at TSAInternships@si.edu or 202.633.8641.
Intern positions at The Smithsonian Associates are available year-round. For more information go to http://smithsonianassociates.org/ticketing/internships/start.aspx
Spring (January - May)
Summer (June - August)
Fall (September - December)
To be considered in the first round of applications, please submit your materials by the following dates:
Spring - October 1
Summer - February 1
Fall - July 1
Applications received after these dates will still be considered on an as-needed basis.
Prospective interns are required to submit the following:
1. Application for Smithsonian Institute Internships
2. Two letters of recommendation (usually from professors)
3. Recent writing sample (usually a paper written for school and at least two pages)
4. Most recent transcript (unofficial transcripts are acceptable)
Interns at the Smithsonian are required to undergo a security background investigation and fingerprinting through the Office of Protection Services before they are accepted into an internship.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE CONTACT
Ms. Meg Smolinski
PO Box 23293
Washington DC 20026-3293
• Assist with various aspects of the technical side of theater.
• Throughout the semester, there will opportunities to learn and assist in some the following areas: stage management, assistant direction, sound, lighting, props & costumes.
• Intern will participate actively in running and preparing for both produced and presented shows for Discovery Theater.
• May also be called on to assist in office duties, daily operations, artist communication, and hospitality.
• Some experience and a desire to learn more about Technical Theater.
• Applicants should be flexible, creative, a team player, reliable, and have a good work ethic.
• Willingness to help load artists in/out and setup/tear down stage and seating.
• Computer skills are welcome.
The following student majors are desired for this intern position, but other areas of study will be considered: