Artistic InternWallis Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts
Brush up on Dramaturgy with the Artistic Team at SF Playhouse this Jan Term!The San Francisco Playhouse
Theatrical Intern - Off Broadway showRadiochick Inc
Set-Up Crew for EventsJ.inspired Events
Carpenter for Theater StageBees & Butterflies Performing Arts Inc.
Smithsonian Performing Arts InternBookmark This
The Smithsonian Associates (TSA)
1100 Jefferson Drive, SW - Suite 3077
The Smithsonian Associates (TSA) advances the Smithsonian Institution’s mission “to increase and diffuse knowledge” through life-enriching educational and cultural experiences inspired by the Smithsonian’s research and collections for DC-region students, families, and adults, and for learning communities nationwide.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES
By working closely with the Program Manager, the Intern will gain experience in all aspects of program and event production, including: Budgeting, performance reporting, customer service, trouble-shooting/problem-solving, adapting to different situations, multi-tasking, creative thinking, researching, coordination at events, creating and maintaining inventories, editing promotional materials, communication, box office and house management, organization and time management, event management.
Hours flexible; 1 full semester
Monday - Friday, timing flexible
All TSA Internships are unpaid and housing is not provided. College credit may be granted, but must be coordinated in advance with the intern's university/college.
Complete the online application at http://intern.si.edu/. Click on the link for the Smithsonian Online Academic Appointment System (SOLAA). Questions can be directed to the Intern Coordinator at TSAInternships@si.edu or 202.633.8641.
Intern positions at The Smithsonian Associates are available year-round. For more information go to http://smithsonianassociates.org/ticketing/internships/start.aspx
Spring (January - May)
Fall (September - December)
To be considered in the first round of applications, please submit your materials by the following dates:
Spring - October 1
Fall - July 1
Applications received after these dates will still be considered on an as-needed basis.
Prospective interns are required to submit the following:
1. Application for Smithsonian Institute Internships
2. Two letters of recommendation (usually from professors)
3. Recent writing sample (usually a paper written for school and at least two pages)
4. Most recent transcript (unofficial transcripts are acceptable)
Interns at the Smithsonian are required to undergo a security background investigation and fingerprinting through the Office of Protection Services before they are accepted into an internship.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE CONTACT
Ms. Meg Smolinski
PO Box 23293
Washington DC 20026-3293
For more information about internships with The Smithsonian Associates go to:
Intern will assist with all aspects of TSA Performing Arts programming, including:
• Research, booking, budgets, contract negotiation, season planning, logistical set-up, and marketing
• Provide direct, hands-on support through the design and production of printed event programs, flyers, patron correspondence, and onsite support of performing arts, film and family programs
• Assist with box office and house management duties during some evening and weekend productions
• Spring interns will also assist with the planning, preparation and/or execution of TSA’s Smithsonian Sleepover program.
• Experience and/or interest in supporting performing arts presentations, house management, arts management, and/or event planning
• Background or strong interest in music, dance, theater, or event planning required
• Preferred that Spring applicants have an interest and/or experience working with children ages 8-12
• Ability to work quickly with attention to detail both independently and as a team
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and the Internet
• Must be able to interact with many different types of people while maintaining a professional demeanor
The following student majors are desired for this intern position, but other areas of study will be considered: