Business Writing InternBookmark This
40 Fountain St, 7th Floor
DescriptionYear Up's mission is to close the Opportunity Divide in our country by providing urban young adults with the skills, experience, and support that will empower them to reach their potential through professional careers and higher education.
We achieve this through a high-support, high-expectation model that combines marketable job skills, stipends, corporate internships, college-level coursework, a behavior guidance system and several levels of support to place these young adults on a viable path to economic self-sufficiency. Our intensive training and education program serves urban young adults, ages 18-24, in Boston, New York City, Providence and Washington, D.C. We have achieved excellent results to date: 100% placement of qualified students into internships, 90% of interns meet or exceed partner expectations, 87% of graduates placed in full or part-time positions, and a $14/hr average wage at placement.
Year Up has received numerous awards, including Fast Company Magazine’s Social Capitalist Awards in 2005, 2006, and 2007, recognizing Year Up’s innovative model and social impact. For more information, please visit www.yearup.org.
• Edit and grade student writing assignments on a weekly basis
• Print assignments and upload course resources and content to online learning platform (Schoology)
• Create and maintain a student assignment tracker on a weekly basis
• Facilitate grammar study sessions once per week
• Provide one-on-one assistance during writing labs
• Potential to facilitate lessons in class
Course Description: This one-semester course includes philosophy, psychology and standards in business communication; written correspondence (letters and memos); and informal and formal report writing. (Prerequisite: None, although ENGL 1005 or ENGL 1010 is strongly recommended)
In addition, ENGL 1410 will equip you with the knowledge and training required to be an effective communicator in a professional, business environment. Specifically, you will learn the essential grammar, vocabulary, writing, presenting, and public speaking skills necessary to succeed in any corporate career. I will encourage you to be a united, dedicated, proactive, and solution oriented team of learners.
On successful completion of the course, the student will acquire the listed skills:
• Apply techniques which establish writer/reader rapport using business philosophy and psychology
• Use proper format for all types of written business communication
• Write complete, concise, concrete, correct, clear, and courteous letters and memoranda
• Write an informal report
• Research and write a formal report
As well as:
• Understand and apply proper grammar when writing and speaking
• Speak confidently in front of a group
• Draft and present a formal PowerPoint presentation
• Understand basic business concepts such as corporate structures, mission statements, visions, organizational charts, and departmental functions
For more information, please contact Katie Rose at email@example.com
RequirementsExcellent interpersonal skills
Ability to work well within a team environment or independently
Ability to be flexible and work on multiple projects simultaneously