Editorial InternshipBookmark This
200 Green Street, Suite 200
San Francisco, CA
DescriptionWe're looking for an Editorial Intern to assist our award-winning content team at The Praetorian Group, which operates the leading media websites for U.S. first responders and local government, including www.PoliceOne.com, www.FireRescue1.com, www.EMS1.com, www.CorrectionsOne.com and www.Military1.com. The position will play a key role supporting an experienced group of editors who manage sites that receive 11 million monthly page views and a social media presence that includes 1.8 million Facebook fans.
The Praetorian Group is the leading online media and technology company in the public safety market, and was recently named the U.S. Chamber of Commerce's 2013 Small Business of the Year. Our online properties are visited by 4 million first responders and public safety professionals every month. Praetorian owns and operates www.PoliceOne.com, www.FireRescue1.com, www.EMS1.com, www.Military1.com and www.CorrectionsOne.com, as well as several niche websites focused on specific public safety topics. Praetorian is growing at a rate of more than 25% per year and has been profitable since 2005. We are big believers in balancing work with fun, and we have regular team building events and activities - from Vegas offsites to grilled cheese cookoffs and more.
Compensation and Schedule:
This paid, part-time internship includes a $500 monthly stipend and requires 2-3 days a week. The schedule is flexible, though your hours should fit within our Monday- Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. office hours.
If interested, please email your resume, writing samples and a short cover letter explaining why you’re interested and why you’d be a good fit.
ResponsibilitiesA good candidate for this position is smart, creative, fascinated by online news and interested in learning the ins and outs of online media with a great team. You should have a strong interest in both social and online media and its capabilites, an efficient and organized approach to tasks, strong writing skills and great news judgment. You will have the opportunity to develop skills in HTML, analytics, content management systems (CMS), photo editing (Photoshop), eNewsletter production, and other areas critical to online journalism.
- Studying journalism, communications or English in college. Post-college applicants welcome to apply.
- Knowledge of AP style, including headline and caption writing
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Good computer/technical skills
- Some knowledge of HTML preferred
- A command of the nuances of various social media platforms and how to best deliver content using them
- A sharp editorial eye and exceptional attention to detail
- Ability to work within a team collaborative environment
- Solid understanding of and interest in online technologies that support online media