Uloop News Writer/ContributorUloop, Inc.
Content Writer/BloggerSeattle Web Search
Blogger/Content CuratorSpice Pharm
Blogger Extraordinaire InternshipJulie Braun Co.
Human Resources InternHouston Ballet Ben Stevenson Academy
Editorial and Marketing InternshipTumbling Dumpling Media
Virtual Copy Editor/Proofreader - PharmaceuticalsAlembic Group Of Companies
MUSIC/ENTERTAINMENT BLOGGER INTERNSHIPintice
Computer Science WriterBookmark This
Posted: September 02 2015
Company Location: Mountain View, CA
Application Deadline: Available Year-round
Position: Part-time, Paid
Always be on the alert for potentially fraudulent job postings online - never send money to a potential employer.
DescriptionShmoop (www.shmoop.com) is a digital curriculum company that makes learning, teaching, and test prep materials that are—dare we say it—awesome, thrilling, spectacular, magnificent, unforgettable, and smart. Really smart.
To help carry out Shmoop’s (mostly benign) plans for world domination, we’re looking for talented writers with vast experience in and a blatant love for information technology. Do you have killer computer application skills in web development, software programming, IT systems support, and database essentials? Ponder how technology relates to issues of finance and business management during your morning shower? Then this is the gig for you. You will be writing engaging curriculum and teaching materials on these topics for students in high school.
Our offices are located in Mountain View, California, but you can work from wherever you want (whenever you want, and also wearing whatever you want). This is a freelance writing position, and you’ll be paid per completed project.
Send us your wittiest cover letter and a résumé; we’ll be waiting with bated breath. A topic-specific writing sample will be required.
Responsibilities• Designing curriculum for short, semester-long, or yearlong courses
• Writing engaging lessons—including readings, activities, worksheets, answer keys, and exams—for online publication
• Presenting students with the technical knowledge and skills they need to pursue a career in computer science or information technology
• Creating user-friendly teacher guides to accompany your curriculum
• Aligning content to educational standards
Requirements• Degree in computer and information technology or a related field, or equivalent experience writing educational content in this field
• Familiarity with writing for non-academic audiences and ability to express technical concepts in an engaging and approachable way
• An eye for detail and a knack for organization
• Comfortable planning lessons and creating high school level curriculum
• Excellent writing and editing skills, including a good sense of humor
Must Feel Comfortable Writing About at Least One of the Following:
• AP Computer Science
• Computer Science Fundamentals
• Computer Literacy
• Computer Networking
• Computer Technology
• Digital Design
• Game Design and Development
• IT Systems and Applications
• .NET App Development
• Network Security
• Object-Oriented Programming
• Procedural Programming
• User Interface Design
• Web Design and Development
• Web Technologies
SkillsRequired - Computer Science, Computer Programming
Preferred - Curriculum Development, Web Design, Information Technology, Database Design, User Interface Design, Game Development, Game Design, Digital Design, Mobile Game Development