Top Jobs for Helping People
During your life, you’ll spend around 90,000 hours at work. Want to spend that time helping others instead of helping yourself? Consider the jobs below, which will let you make your small corner of the world a better place. While you might not rake in the cash, you’ll certainly rake in the karma—and the personal satisfaction of knowing that you’re making a difference.
- Social Worker — Connect people to the resources they need during challenging times. Depending on the day, you’re a coach, counselor, researcher, and project manager all rolled into one.
- Nurse or Doctor — Whatever your specialty, you help people heal with compassion and skill.
- Special Education Teacher — Work with children facing unique challenges, including physical, mental, or emotional disabilities. Having a great teacher makes a difference for anyone, but for children with special needs, it can change their whole world.
- Volunteer Coordinator — Nonprofits need all the help they can get, so you organize people around a good cause.
- Nonprofit Program Director — From protecting wildlife to alleviating hunger, nonprofits make the world a better place. You put in long hours to meet your nonprofit’s strategic and financial goals.
- Pet Adoption Counselor — Help man and man’s best friend by connecting people to loving animals in need.