Can High School Students Become Interns?
All year long, high school and college students alike eagerly anticipate the long days summer. After nine months of exams, essays, and extracurriculars, summer provides a much-needed respite. But choosing what to do with your summer break can have a significant impact on your future. Whether you’ve started considering your career path or not, participating in a summer internship program can provide valuable hands-on experience. If you’re a high school student who is just starting to explore career options, these programs can be a fun and exciting first step toward furthering your education and figuring out your future.
Applying for, participating in, and completing a summer internship as a high school student will give you the confidence and skills you need to understand the working world. It will allow you to explore a variety of career options, from marketing and design to coding and accounting. It will propel you into the world of networking. Plus, it will give you an impressive entry on your resume—the same resume that will help you land your first big job after college.
The benefits of high school internships
- You’ll hone your application skills. Just like all other internship programs, high school internships require applications. Applying to an internship can teach you much-needed job search and employment skills. Writing a resume, landing an interview, and understanding what it means to work for a company are skills that will give you a big advantage over candidates who have never participated in the process.
- You’ll make some tough choices. From choosing an internship to completing the program, you’ll find that an internship serves as a crash course in discovering what you want to do with your adult life and how you’ll get there. A summer internship program allows you the luxury of trying out a profession and industry without making you commit to it for more than a few months. For many, it only takes that long to realize that a dream job isn’t anything like they imagined.
- You’ll get to network. Networking is an essential part of the real working world. Often, knowing the right people will give you a huge advantage when it comes to finding the right job. A summer internship program will put you in a prime position to network with people at your company, who could serve as valuable references once you’re looking for a full-time role.
- You’ll expand your resume. When school is your top priority, it’s hard to build out a one-page resume. Still, the world of work is very different from the world of school, and you’ve got a lot to learn. Having a summer internship on your resume will show potential interviewers that you care about your job options, that you’re motivated to grow in your career, and that you’ve learned important skills that will make you a valuable employee.
- You’ll have a big advantage. Whether you head to college or the workforce after graduation, having an internship under your belt can be a huge asset. If you’re applying to colleges, your internship experience can build a case for you as a strong applicant. Because many students apply to colleges without internship experience, your summer internship can help you stand out from the crowd. You’ll show the admissions committee that you’re motivated, inquisitive, and serious about success.
Choosing your internship
Some internship programs are designed specifically for students who are still in high school. As you search the high school internship options on Chegg Internships, read each description carefully, ensuring that you meet the qualifications. At Chegg Internships, you’ll find positions across a range of industries that will offer you an excellent learning experience. Use our advanced tools to search for opportunities that match your interests or are near where you live. When you’re ready to apply, use our resume, cover letter, and interviewing resources to make your application truly shine. Once you’ve got the job, do your research on how to conduct yourself in the workplace.
Ready to get started? It’s never too early to start searching for your dream high school internship on Chegg Internships.