Mechanical engineering encompasses several engineering disciplines and was developed as a result of applying principles of physics and materials science. Mechanical engineering is based on the generation and application of heat and mechanical power and the design, production, and use of machines such as elevators and escalators and tools such as medical devices and batteries. Most mechanical engineers work in engineering services, manufacturing, and research and development.
The Career Options
Mechanical engineers generally work in offices or manufacturing plans but also visit worksites to fix equipment problems. You could work on industrial equipment, machinery, heating and cooling systems, motor vehicles, aircraft, watercraft, robotics, or medical devices.
A mechanical engineering internship demands a thorough understanding of mechanics, kinematics, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, heat transfer, materials science, and energy. To become a mechanical engineer, you need to earn a bachelor’s or master’s degree in mechanical engineering, work under a professional engineer for at least four years, pass two exams and earn a state license.
In an internship, you’ll likely help with tasks such as integrating sensors, controllers, and machinery. Through the experience, you’ll utilize computer programs that help you create and analyze designs, run simulations, test how a machine works, and interact with other systems.
Use the opportunity to familiarize yourself with software commonly used by mechanical engineers such as LaTeX or R for presentations and statistical models or MATLAB. You’ll also want to learn design software such as CATIA, SolidWorks, or Pro-E and programming languages such as C++, Python, and LabView.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the number of mechanical engineering jobs is expected to grow 5% over the next decade, which is about average.
Ready for a career in mechanical engineering? Start your search below!
Search For Mechanical Engineering Internships
MORE 2017 MECHANICAL ENGINEERING INTERNSHIPS BY LOCATION
- Mechanical Engineering Internships in Atlanta, GA
- Mechanical Engineering Internships in Chicago, IL
- Mechanical Engineering Internships in Dallas, TX
- Mechanical Engineering Internships in El Paso, TX
- Mechanical Engineering Internships in Houston, TX
- Mechanical Engineering Internships in New York, NY
- Mechanical Engineering Internships in Orange County, CA
- Mechanical Engineering Internships in Orlando, FL
- Mechanical Engineering Internships in San Francisco, CA
- Mechanical Engineering Internships in San Jose, CA
- Mechanical Engineering Internships in Southern California