Baird & Associates Ltd. - Madison, WI
17 hours agoInternshipEstimated: $37,000 - $51,000 a year
* Bachelor's Degree
* Master's Degree
* Time Management
* Microsoft Office
Are you passionate about Civil Engineering and the world we live in?
At Baird, our vision is to focus on developing innovative, best in class solutions that will shape the future of where water meets land. We pride ourselves on building strong dynamic teams to facilitate personal and professional growth. It is our goal to ensure that our employees are having fun and enjoying what they do. We feel this will help them to think and function more holistically.
W.F. Baird & Associates Ltd. (Baird) provides professional engineering and technical services related to the design of coastal structures and facilities that interact with the world's oceans, lakes, and rivers. The company provides scientific analyses of coastal processes including studies of waves, water levels, currents, sediment transport, and water quality. Baird is recognized for the successful completion of innovative and practical projects throughout North and South America, the Caribbean, Middle East, Africa, and Australia. Baird provides a stimulating work environment with opportunities for professional development and ownership within the company.
We are currently looking for a forward-thinking, results-driven and passionate Civil Engineering Intern to join our US Team for a six-month internship. The incumbent primary role will be to aid our junior, intermediate and senior coastal engineers, scientist and numerical modelers. Your role will include assisting to ensure that the services provided to the client is innovative, effective, and practical and represent leading expertise and knowledge.
Job Duties will include:
1) Before Construction (Madison, WI)
* Work with the Baird engineering team to understand project and the design intent.
* Learn about Baird and participate on other projects related to coastal engineering
2) During Construction (Hammond, IN)
a) Conferences and Meetings:
* Attend meetings with Contractor, such as pre-construction conferences, progress meetings, job conferences and other project-related meetings, and prepare and circulate copies of minutes thereof.
* Maintain at the job site orderly files for correspondence, reports of job conferences, reproductions of original Contract Documents including all Work Directive Changes, Addenda, Change Orders, Field Orders, additional Drawings issued subsequent to the execution of the Contract, Baird's clarifications and interpretations of the Contract Documents, progress reports, and other Project-related documents.
* Keep a diary or log book, recording Contractor hours on the job site, weather conditions, data relative to questions of Work Directive Changes, Change Orders or changed conditions, list of job site visitors, daily activities, decisions, observations in general, and specific observations in more detail; and send copies to Baird.
* Record names, addresses, and telephone numbers of all Contractors, subcontractors, and suppliers of materials and equipment.
* Witness Contractor's verification surveys.
* Witness barge readings and collect contractor's truck tickets and logs.
Other project tasks as requested.
* A Bachelors or Masters Degree Bachelor of Science degree in in Civil, Coastal or Hydrotechnical Engineering.
* A minimum of 1 - 3 years of coastal engineering experience, in a consulting or contractor role.
* A functional understanding of typical port, marine or offshore engineering with a familiarity with geotechnical engineering, meteorology, vessel and port operations and marine environmental issues and disciplines is considered an asset.
* Experience with preparation of clear and comprehensive reports, technical notes and client or public presentations.
* Knowledge of water resource engineering including: river engineering, tidal and estuarine engineering, hydrology, numerical and physical modelling principles.
* Microsoft Office, MATLAB, AutoCAD, and working knowledge of GIS
* Fast-paced office environment with a high impact team.
Professionalism: Ability to perform a broad range of administrative functions.
Planning and Organizing: Strong organizational and time management skills, with the ability to simultaneously handle multiple tasks. Ability to juggle multiple projects and changing priorities without missing tight deadlines or losing sight of overall project goals.
Communication: Good communication (spoken and written) skills, including ability to draft a variety of correspondence and other communications, summary reports, etc.
Teamwork: Good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Problem Solving: Ability to make sound judgments based on multiple constraints and opportunities.
Initiative: Ability to develop, implement and anticipate problems and find creative solutions to address them.
Before construction: (April/May 2019 - June 2019)
* Incumbent will be stationed up in Madison, WI getting acclimated to the team and project
* Length of work week is 40 hours, Monday to Friday
* Baird to provide lodging, but no meals
During construction: (July 2019 - September 2019)
* Incumbent will be stationed at Hammond, IN
* Length of work week is 40 hours either Monday-Thursday or Wednesday -Saturday (to be determined) during construction
* Intern will be living in Hammond or nearby.
* Lodging will not be provided.
W.F. Baird & Associates Ltd. is employee owned. This is a permanent full-time position. Compensation is competitive. If you are interested in this opportunity, please email your resume and cover letter.
W.F. Baird & Associates Ltd. is committed to providing an inclusive work environment for all and is proud to be an EOE/M/F/D/V.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted.
Disclaimer: The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees with this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position.
Job Type: Internship
autocad, civil engineering, matlab, construction, surveying, water management, hydrology, geotechnical engineering, geographic information systems (gis), water resource management, water quality, water resource engineering, coastal engineering, microsoft office, microsoft word