Water Rights Resource Assistant Intern
MobilizeGreen in Berkeley, CA, USA
Join Us! Do Work that Matters!
In partnership with Region 2 of the USFS, MobilizeGreen seeks a Water Rights Intern to be based in Lakewood, CO. The Intern will support various aspects of the Forest Service Region 2 water rights program based on the skills and interest area of the specific intern and critical program needs. Work will interface with Forest Service Regional Office hydrology staff, Forest Service Regional Office lands staff, key staff on various national forests, various State Departments of Water Resources, and Forest Service contractor(s).
* 37 weeks, starting Summer 2019
* Full-time (40 hrs/week)
* $500 weekly living allowance stipend
* Monthly housing stipend
* 2-year non-competitive hiring certificate
* Travel and training allowance
* Hands-on job and other training opportunities
Duties & Responsibilities
Water Rights Research
* Research and report on the status and history of existing Forest Service water rights and water rights of others on National Forest System lands.
* Become familiar with Water Division adjudications to identify data entry errors and develop strategy for corrections in collaboration with Colorado Division of Water Resources staff.
* Litigation report preparation to support new claims and potential oppositions to filings of others.
* Active water right litigation case tracking and docket updates.
* Case file organization and management.
* Aggregate data and develop reports on water rights, water use and related topics.
* Support the national forests with water related data needs.
* Analyze water uses on National Forest Lands in coordination with Regional Office and Forest staff and Forest Service contractor(s).
* Develop familiarity with other Regional Office staff areas that interface with the water rights program.
* Coordinate water rights activities with benefiting program areas.
* Support land use authorization actions with water rights components to ensure consistency with Regional direction and priorities.
Forest Outreach and Information Sharing
* Develop materials to present to the National Forests in the Rocky Mountain Region on the current status and needs for action regarding water rights, uses, and data management.
* Communicate with key staff on various National Forests by phone, email, Skype, or in person regarding water rights and uses, water conveyance systems and special use permitting.
Preferred graduate/legal degree, minimum Bachelor's degree in hydrology, soil science, water resources, or environmental management with emphasis on water resources.
* Interest in western water law
* Excellent research skills
* Excellent collaboration skills
* Ability to develop strategies based on multiple inputs
* Ability to prioritize work
* Excellent organizational skills
* Excellent written and verbal communications skills
* Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
* Must be able to perform office work
* Additional professional or volunteer experience in areas relating to the position
* Experience in legal research
* Familiarity with agency land management
* Familiarity with doctrine of prior appropriations
* An interest in serving the full 9 months
* Submit to a background investigation
* U.S. citizen, national or lawful permanent resident
* Resourceful, reliable and dependable
Please submit a resume and cover letter explaining your interest in the internship and why you think you would be a good fit for the position. Applications reviewed on a rolling basis.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
Posted date: 5 hours ago
water management, water resource management, hydrology, soil science, training, data entry, organization, forest management, land management, environmental management, water rights, land use, permitting, sustainability, natural resource management