Editorial Intern - Unpaid
Gehen Press - Portland, OR
InternshipEstimated: $26,000 - $37,000 a year
* Bachelor's Degree
* Writing Skills
Gehen Press is an online news publication that focuses on music and emerging artists.
We currently have an opening for an Editorial Intern to produce artist updates, music reviews, and more. The ideal writer has a strong interest in music and instrumentation, excellent writing expertise, and knowledge of indie, punk rock, hardcore, and/or pop genres. This person will be responsible for independently creating original, engaging content with guidance from our Editor-In-Chief and team of writers. Editorial internships require a commitment of 5-10 hours per week.
* Write articles related to new albums and songs, music videos, upcoming festivals, tour dates, and/or playlists, averaging 1-2 pieces per week
* Review press releases for key details and pertinent evidence for main arguments
* Conduct research on artists, which may include looking up albums, band biographies, collaborations, social accounts, similar artists, and other background information
* Outline each write up thoroughly, organizing sections by order of importance and relevant supporting facts
* Cover a variety of artists and bands within the industry
* Develop consistent content with an emphasis on strong sentence structure, occasionally generating new stories and investigative leads
* Relay facts, events, and information in an unbiased manner
* Incorporate editorial feedback into future articles with a keen attention to editing
* Promptly respond to all email correspondence, including assignments, feedback, new leads, and other collaboration
* Working towards a Bachelors degree in English, Journalism, or related degree
* Must have experience in professional or personal writing
* Excellent communication, group collaboration, and planning skills
* Can work independently to meet deadlines
* Interest in feminism, social issues, and humanity a plus
* If you think this position is a good fit for what youre looking for, please submit your resume and two writing samples related to music.
Please note this is an unpaid internship with a duration of 3-6 months. Remote internships are available.
About Gehen Press
Gehen Press is a Chicago-based online news publication that produces coverage on artistic and philosophical contemplations within indie, pop, and rock music internationally. Our site publishes articles weekly and daily, featuring a wide range of articles including editorials, reviews, interviews, tour information, and playlists.
The publication tiptoes around mainstream artists and has a rigorous selection process when curating website content. Known for our minimalistic design and user interface, we aim to create an atmosphere free of distractions by simplifying the sharing of information with visually appealing aesthetics. Our staff includes writers from various backgrounds, ranging from career professionals to academics to first time writers and interns.
Visit us at www.gehenpress.com.
Job Type: Internship
* Writing: 1 year (Required)
* Bachelor's (Preferred)
* Remote/Work from home
* College Credit
editing, editorial, journalism, writing, press releases, web content, stories, online news, feminism, articles, research, interviewing, event management, communication, english