Sr. Technology Support Specialist
University of New England, United States
Updated: about 17 hours ago
Location: Portland, MAINE
Position Type Professional Staff
Position Title Sr. Technology Support Specialist
Employment Status Full Time
Campus Portland, ME
The Sr. Technology Support Specialist oversees the technical work conducted within Information Technology Services User Services Business unit. The position supports a Mac and PC environment, solving a wide range of application and technical problems, provides leadership, guidance, and support to the team with superior problem solving skills and a strong combination of customer service, communication, and technical abilities. This position assists with leading of a team of technical support specialists across two campuses and provides support to members of the University community via phone, email, walk-up and office visits. Technical experience includes overseeing the maintenance and imaging of laptops and desktops, troubleshooting complex hardware and software issues, having a deep understanding of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, managing software upgrades and distributions, and a strong understanding of how technology works in an enterprise level environment is essential to success in this role.
* Assist User Services Director in defining and developing departmental processes and supporting documentation.
* Manage and maintain User Services management tools and support systems.
* Assist in managing software license managers, software upgrades, and software distribution development.
* Act as an escalation point to a team of technical support specialists for technical issues while managing and communicating challenges and successes up to the User Services Director.
* Configure, deploy, retire, troubleshoot and repair Macintosh and Windows laptops, desktops and peripherals.
* Coordinate and administer the teams prompt resolution for incoming incidents and requests reported through the university help desk.
* Provide leadership and assistance to both the Portland and Biddeford campus by maintaining an ongoing regular onsite presence to assist with technical issues.
* Provide immediate support for all classroom related issues.
* Provide guidance and feedback to users on the operation of their technology and best practices.
* Work closely with other ITS staff and departments to troubleshoot and resolve problems.
* Work with management and coworkers in User Services to complete campus wide initiatives and projects.
* Performs additional related duties as assigned.
Bachelors degree preferred or a combination of four years experience and education in related computer field.
* Strong knowledge of encryption technologies, Windows and Apple operating systems, creating/maintaining hardware/software images, promptly resolve software/hardware and mobile computing issues.
* Experience with full disk encryption and other security related technologies.
* Advanced knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite and familiarity with a broad range of third party applications supported by UNE.
* Knowledgeable with enterprise level networking concepts.
* Strong expertise with ServiceNow, Kace, Deep Freeze and Jamf.
* Proficient with Audio/Video technologies is a plus.
* Preferred Certifications
- CompTIA A+ Certification desired
- Any Apple certification greatly desired
* Excellent communication skills with an ability to deal effectively with a wide variety of University personnel, students, and/or outside individuals/organizations of varying experience levels
* Ability to provide professional and courteous service to a broad range of users and experience levels.
* Ability to manage projects from inception to fruition.
* Ability to function effectively in a fast-paced, multi-task environment.
* Ability to meet and enforce deadlines, take initiative, work independently to carry out complex assignments given to the technical team.
* Ability to work outside of normal office hours and travel as needed.
* Demonstrated experience leading a team through technical challenges preferred.
* Strong attention to detail and adherence to University and ITS policies and procedures is required.
* Ability to exercise sound judgment in a dynamic and fluid environment.
* Previous UNE experience a plus.
* Ability to lift/carry up to 40 lbs.
* Prior experience working in Higher Education is preferred.
EEO Statement Summary
Consistent with federal and state law and University policy, the University of New England is committed to the fundamental concept of equal opportunity for all of the members of the University community. The University prohibits and will not tolerate discrimination in employment, the provision of academic services or in any other area of University life based on race, color, sex, physical or mental disability, religion, age, ancestry, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, ethnicity, genetic information, HIV status, or status as a veteran. Prohibited bias factors will not be permitted to have an adverse influence upon decisions regarding students, employees, applicants for admission, applicants for employment, contractors, volunteers or participants in and/or users of institutional programs, services, and activities.
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number 20160708P
Open Until Filled Yes
troubleshooting, technical support, microsoft windows, hardware, operating systems, information technology, laptops, comptia a+ certified, software, servicenow, apple, microsoft office, customer service, leadership, security