Smithsonian Office of International Relations Internship (Fall 2019)
Smithsonian Office of International Relations - Washington, DC
InternshipEstimated: $26,000 - $33,000 a year
* High School Diploma or GED
* Office Experience
* Administrative Experience
* Microsoft Word
* Microsoft Office
Smithsonian Office of International Relations Internship:
You may know us at Smithsonian for our museums and collections, but were also a global organization actively involved in researching biodiversity, conserving priceless artifacts, preserving cultural heritage, and much more. We work in more than 140 countries around the world, including China, Armenia, Benin, and Peru, to name but a few. Discover the difference were making in communities around the world with an internship at the Smithsonians Office of International Relations (OIR).
OIR serves as the central point for Institution-wide advice, insight, analysis, and coordination of all international activities of the Institution. OIRs mission is to leverage the creativity, assets, and expertise of the entire Smithsonian to advance our mission: the increase and diffusion of knowledge. We mobilize communities, scientists, scholars, and partner organizations to exchange ideas and shape creative solutions to the worlds most pressing challenges, always hoping to inspire the next generation of leaders to join us. Underpinning all of our work internationally is a core focus on partnership and building the capacity of peers around the world.
OIR offers three different internship roles to support our office in its day-to-day functions. OIR internships provide professional development opportunities for students/recent graduates interested in museum education, community engagement and outreach, curriculum development, communications, cultural heritage preservation, conservation science, and other relevant disciplines. The intern will serve primarily in an administrative capacity. Internships can be taken for university credit.
OIR internship roles, with illustrative duties and learning objectives, are as follows:
* International Exchange Intern: Facilitating international exchanges across the Smithsonian, including supporting coordination and escorting of international delegations and groups.
* Global Projects Intern: Engaging with various members of the OIR team to provide project management support, including proposal development and project implementation activities.
* Communications Intern: Supporting digital communications, including content research and creation, and planning, design, and analysis of social media posts.
If you would like to apply to multiple positions, we will save your application in each category for consideration. All interns, regardless of role, are also tasked with general office support and administrative activities.
This position is designed for a degree-seeking graduate or undergraduate student or a recent graduate. Strong working knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel & Word is essential. Prior international experience (study or work abroad), or in a cross-cultural setting is preferred, as well as experience in an office environment. An excellent command of the English language, as well as strong interpersonal skills, is required. Candidate must also be self-motivated, organized, and detail-oriented.
Internships run for a minimum of three months and typically correspond with academic year terms. Internships can be part-time (24 hours per week) or full-time (32 hours per week), depending on intern availability and office needs.
Internship is unpaid, with a small stipend intended to offset transportation or other associated costs.
Job Type: Internship
* Microsoft Office: 1 year (Preferred)
* Excel: 1 year (Preferred)
* Office: 1 year (Preferred)
* Microsoft Word: 1 year (Preferred)
* English (Preferred)
This Job Is:
* Open to applicants who do not have a high school diploma/GED
* A good fit for applicants with gaps in their resume, or who have been out of the workforce for the past 6 months or more
* A good first job for new college grads
* A good first job for someone who is just entering the workforce with limited experience and education
social media, research, international relations, museums, community engagement, museum collections, museum education, microsoft office, microsoft excel, microsoft word, project management, organization, english, analysis, office administration