Peer Support Specialist- Residential Re Entry
Wisconsin Community Services - Milwaukee, WI3.2
Part-timeEstimated: $28,000 - $36,000 a year
* High School Diploma or GED
* Certified Recovery Specialist
* Organizational Skills
* Motivational Interviewing
* Driver's License
* Microsoft Word
Peer Support Specialist- Residential Re-Entry
Position Summary: The Certified Peer Support Specialist is a critical connection to participants during the pre- and post-release components of the Re-Entry Division of Wisconsin Community Services, and provides support, mentoring and education to residents based on lived experience with AODA and mental health issues. The Peer Support Specialist works closely with and assists the Community Reintegration Services (CRS) division staff residents/participants needs throughout their participation to ensure the greatest likelihood of success in their reintegration to the community from the Residential Reentry Centers (RRC).
1. Maintain regular appointments at Joshua Glover Residential Center, Parsons House Residential Center or in the community, to assist in developing a viable plan for reentering the community by establishing pro-social relationship and provide positive role modeling.
2. Ethical obligation to remain neutral in showing options for participants to consider.
3. Empower Reentry Program residents/participants to resolve current issues and to develop coping strategies for the future.
4. Provide a model for a healthy, trusting relationship with consumers/peers through clear
5. Be an active listener and offer support and encouragement when appropriate.
6. Engage in peer support activities both RRCs and in the community to assist with successful reentry.
7. Develop a network of volunteer peer mentors, who will be trained locally, to assist in delivering reentry planning and support services.
8. Submit weekly activity reports to RRC Program Directors and the Director of CRS
9. Assist RRC Program staff in developing and maintaining a Community Relations Board.
10. Attend community meetings as directed by Director of CRS
11. Assist in developing and maintaining a Reentry Toolkit to be utilized in reentry planning
12. Ability to follow RRC rules, policies, and protocols under the direction of the RRCs Program Directors and Director of CRS division.
13. Help acquaint newly released inmates in transition in the community.
14. Adhere to recording keeping requirements pertaining to program responsibilities.
15. Follow confidentiality and privacy laws, rules, and guidelines.
16. Perform home and work site checks at the direction of the Director.
Minimal Qualifications: This position requires a high school diploma or equivalent (HSED or GED); must be licensed as a Wisconsin Certified Peer Specialist or on track to be certified; must have personal experience with AODA and mental health issues and knowledge of recovery principles. Demonstrated knowledge and experience working with community resources to provide needed services to criminal justice or reentry populations. Requires the ability to pass a caregiver and correctional background check. Must possess valid drivers license and insured automobile for use in conducting agency business.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: This position must have lived experience with AODA and mental health issues, and achieve the required certification for the position. This position must understand and have experience working with moderate to high-risk offenders returning from incarceration. Must possess strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively with people from diverse racial ethnic, socioeconomic, and gender backgrounds. Must possess strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple priorities at once. Ability to work well independently and as a member of a highly integrated and diverse team. Must demonstrate the ability to solve problems and manage conflict. Must possess the ability to think and plan strategically. Must show sensitivity towards cultural, ethnic and disability issues. Knowledge of Evidence-Based Practices, especially related to reentry services preferred, to include Motivational Interviewing and Trauma Informed Care. Proficient with Microsoft Word and Outlook, the Internet and keyboarding.
microsoft word, management, mental health, microsoft outlook, organization, modeling, integration, mentoring, validation, motivational interviewing, education, data analysis, scientific writing, statistics, matlab