Healthy Start Academy - Durham, NC
1 day agoFull-timeEstimated: $49,000 - $70,000 a year
* Bachelor's Degree
* Leadership Experience
* Teaching Experience
* Benefits Administration
* Driver's License
* Health Insurance
The Art Teacher develops in each Healthy Start Academy scholar an appreciation of art as part of culture; teaches age-appropriate design skills; discovers and develops artistic talents of students; and helps students develop knowledge and confidence so students can integrate creativity and graphic arts in classroom projects.
* Teaches age-appropriate skills in visual arts, dance, music, and theater;
* Teaches students to recognize and appreciate exemplary works of art from various cultures and historic periods;
* Utilizes North Carolina Essential Standards, filtered through the Framework for 21st Century skills, to foster creative thinking;
* Teaches students to communicate with others in a variety of forms and contexts, including illustration and graphic design through the use of technology.
* Provides individual and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each pupil;
* Works with gifted students to apply additional skills on a 1:1 or small group basis;
* Utilizes a repertoire of artistic expression, including traditional and contemporary, that are appropriate for the ages and skill levels of pupils;
* Coordinates and provides artistic opportunities for students, integrated with other programs for Healthy Start Academy, such as seasonal concerts and performances;
* Coordinates all art-related activities, including adult supervision and student transportation, to off-site scheduled performances;
* Acquires materials and supplies for the program;
* Controls the inventory, storage and use of school-owned art supplies and related property;
* Establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior to provide an orderly, productive environment during class, gallery displays, and performances;
* Serves on staff committees and attends meetings as the Administration may direct;
* Interacts with the Administration to identify goals and expectations as well as budgetary needs;
* Performs all tasks associated with the specific position.
* Valid academic credentials (highly qualified) with a minimum of a Bachelors Degree in Art Education or related field;
* Proven relationship management skills;
* Ability to use standard office equipment, such as computers, printers, and photocopiers;
* Attention to detail; and
* Ability to motivate students who may struggle with traditional classroom academics.
Bilingual oral communications skills are preferred.
* Commensurate with experience
* This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
* While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
* This position requires long periods in front of students.
* This position may require filing, moving supplies, and other activities that require pushing and lifting. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift up to 50 pounds.
* Some travel is expected for this position.
* Must have a current North Carolina Drivers License.
* Healthy Start Academy does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, disability, veteran status, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any manner discriminate against anyone because they have inquired about, discussed or disclosed such information.
* Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Who We Are
Healthy Start Academy is seeking outstanding individuals to be part of an exciting turnaround of the State of North Carolinas first charter school. Located in a historic building in the West End neighborhood of downtown Durham, Healthy Start Academy is an independent charter school, founded 20 years ago by members of the Durham community. Healthy Start Academy was the first school charter school to open its doors in 1997, leading the movement for school choice in North Carolina. HSA serves approximately 400 students from across the county in grades K-8, the vast majority of who qualify for free and reduced-price lunch.
We believe students must be balanced and healthy to succeed in high school, college, and life. We focus on rigorous academics, physical fitness, and social-emotional learning to prepare our scholars for high school, and by doing so, provide them with the diverse experiences necessary for achievement in the 21st century.
Our Mission and Vision
Our mission is to prepare K-8 students to succeed in high school through rigorous academics, physical fitness, and social-emotional learning.
Our vision is that Healthy Start Academy will be an A-rated K-8 charter school of approximately 450 students. Our graduating scholars will leave prepared for success in selective private high schools or to participate in Honors and AP track courses in traditional public and charter high schools. Healthy Start will be recognized as a model across the state of how to effectively integrate rigorous academics with physical fitness and social-emotional learning.
A Unique Opportunity
Our school is led by a dynamic and proven leadership team. We look for driven teacher-leaders who seek to transform the school while preserving its history and connection to the Durham community. We believe that race, income, or zip code does not determine destiny, and we are seeking teachers who want to be part of this unique opportunity to serve those students who most need an outstanding educator and want to play a critical role in a multi-year school turnaround.
Why You Should Be Part of Our Team
We believe great teaching closes the achievement gap, and your leadership and development will be essential to making it happen for our scholars. You will be extensively trained, supported, and part of a committed team determined to achieve results for our students while working in partnership with their families and the surrounding Durham community. You will play an integral role in a small school and your class size will not exceed 18 students if you teach K-3 and no larger than 22 students in grades 4-8. You will receive weekly coaching and PD driven by proven teacher leaders. You will be backed by a supportive administration that holds a high standard while responding to the needs of teachers. You will be provided high-quality curriculum and training on that curriculum that ensures your ability to execute effectively. You will also have the opportunity to work in Downtown Durham, a community that has undergone an exceptional revitalization and is now home to the best restaurants, arts, and entertainment in the state - making it a most desirable place to live and work for people transitioning to North Carolina. Most important, you will build relationships and have a lasting impact on children who deserve an excellent education. You will do all of this while part of a true team, not an isolated individual on an island in a classroom.
What We Are Looking For
The ideal candidate has the right mindset and skill to succeed in an environment of high expectations while also being a true team player. Most important, we look for individuals that exemplify our core values (listed below) because we believe that your mindset and attitude will ultimately determine your success. The ideal candidate has teaching experience, preferably in an urban or rural setting. Teaching as part of a successful charter network such as Uncommon Schools, Achievement First, Success, or a school that utilizes the Teach Like a Champion framework, is highly desirable, but not a requirement. Alumni of Teach For America are strongly encouraged to apply. Certification is preferable but not required.
We make the weather - our attitude is that each day determines our environment, so we choose daily to be positive. We recognize that complaining and negative thinking saps our collective strength, so we remain optimistic and energetic in the face of challenges. We love to laugh and value good humor.
We believe that a healthy organization is built on people treating each other with kindness and civility, regardless of the circumstances. We model this with each other as well as with scholars and their families. We do not gossip nor tolerate those that do.
We put the Academy and the scholars before our own personal preferences, recognizing that consistency and follow-through determine success. We do what we say we will do. We make decisions based on what is the right thing to do rather than what is the easy thing to do.
We set ambitious goals and work hard to achieve them regardless of the obstacles. We are humble and hungry to grow. We actively seek out feedback that will help us get better faster. We celebrate the small wins along the way to achieving our goals.
We believe that creating a successful school requires partnership and connection with our families. We hold our scholars to the highest standards while also building rich relationships with their families during their time at the Academy. Additionally, we continually seek to balance the ambitious goals of the Academy with meeting the needs of our personal lives and families.
The application process is simple and requires you to upload a current resume and respond to three short questions. You apply via this link:
As a charter school, we appreciate and value your time. As a result, your application process works efficiently for all concerned. Cover letters are unnecessary and will not be evaluated as part of your application.
The selection process is conducted on a rolling basis and strong applicants will be contacted to schedule a phone screening within 48 hours of application. There is no need to follow-up if you havent heard anything. Successful candidates will be invited to campus for a demo lesson and on-campus interview.
Salary is competitive and based on experience and health benefits are provided for employees. We participate in an excellent state retirement system. We also offer signing bonuses to top candidates.
Job Type: Full-time
* Teaching: 1 year (Preferred)
* Design: 1 year (Preferred)
* Multilingual: 1 year (Preferred)
teaching, art education, visual arts, classroom management, curriculum design, graphic design, contemporary art, editing, illustration, lesson planning, history, music, theatre, middle school, singing