Less than 1 hour
Financial Policy and Legislative Counsel
Washington, DC, District of Columbia 20001
The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) currently has an opening for a Financial Policy and Legislative Advisor or Counsel in its Executive Office just steps from the Capitol and Union Station. Reporting to the Assistant Director for financial policy and legislation, This position will help develop and advance the NAIC's policy positions on Capitol Hill and with a myriad of federal agencies responsible for financial policy.
This position will shape federal financial regulatory policy at the cross-roads of Congress and federal agencies. Working with dedicated and collegial policy professionals, the selected individual will advance the state-based insurance regulatory framework by supporting the 56 state and territorial chief insurance regulators and state insurance departments.
The selected individual will work collaboratively with members of the NAIC financial policy and legislation team, NAIC regulatory experts as well as senior NAIC leadership. An aptitude for member service, pro-activity and responsiveness is critical to success in this position.
* Identifying and analyzing congressional legislation and federal regulations that could impact the regulation of insurance.
* Actively monitoring developments related to such legislation or regulation and proactively developing recommended responses to such activity including drafting comment letters, testimony, legislative language, and other policy documents.
* Assisting in organizing NAIC outreach to congressional and federal officials and facilitate NAIC member involvement in federal initiatives.
* Advising senior NAIC leadership regarding involvement in public policy discussions, debates and projects and recommending actions to be taken by NAIC to address issues that arise at the federal level.
* Position may require limited travel.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
* Must have a demonstrated ability to work with public officials, key organizations and people in the relevant policy arenas.
* Understands federal legislative and regulatory processes and have general knowledge of insurance regulation and the insurance sector.
* Demonstrates independence, initiative, and political sensitivity to operate effectively on behalf of the NAIC and state insurance officials.
* Possesses excellent oral and written communications skills and be able to convey complex issues in clear, concise language.
* Ability to be proactive, flexible, and to work in a team environment with employees at various levels.
* Must have strong organizational skills and member service skills.
* Proficiency with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Bachelor's degree (B.A.) and at least 5 years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required. A Masters or Law degree is preferred.
Why Work at the NAIC/NIPR?
Flexible Work Environment
37.5 Hour Work Week
Choice of Insurance Plans
Vacation Buy Back
Infants in the Work Place
Employee Recognition Programs
Days Off for Community Service
Student Loan Repayment Program
The NAIC is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
Applicants for all positions are considered without regard to age, race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin or ancestry, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information, military or veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
For consideration, please apply online at:
Posted: 2019-06-26 Expires: 2019-07-26
public policy, legislation, political science, financial regulation, legislative affairs, leadership, microsoft excel, microsoft word, microsoft powerpoint, law, legislative issues, testimony, congress, adoption, insurance regulatory