Intern, Classical MPR #547-19 - St Paul, MN - American Public Media
American Public Media
Intern, Classical MPR #547-19 - St Paul, MN Toggle navigation
Intern, Classical MPR #547-19
* MPR, Classical Internship - 19JA
* St Paul, MN, USA
* Intern - Part Time
Email Me Similar
Hours: 24 hours per week
Location: St. Paul, MN
Start Date: September 10, 2019 - December 6, 2019
Application Deadline: July 22, 2019. Cover letter is required for this application. Please scroll to the "Next Step in the Application" section for more information.
Are you looking for Internships/Fellowships at the largest station-based public radio organization in the US?
If so, look no further. Our Internship and Fellowship program will give YOU the real-world experience you are seeking in production, research, reporting, interviewing, audio and digital storytelling and more, as well as experience in public media operations. In addition to professional development, this program will help you build a network with other professionals in the industry. Don't miss out on the chance to build your professional portfolio alongside the best people within public media.
Who we are:
Classical Minnesota Public Radio provides lively music and good company to listeners throughout the day. With the best music from our region as well as national programs like Performance Today, SymphonyCast and Pipedreams, classical music is alive on Classical MPR.
Intern, Classical MPR
This internship opportunity would provide you the opportunity to work across the department in Digital, on-air, production and live events. As the nation's premiere provider of Classical music programming, APMG's Classical Music Service has a unique opportunity to enrich the minds and nourish the spirit by increasing our public service with investments that allow us to serve more audiences and expand our impact on the audiences we serve. Our interns are a crucial step in our ability to recruit and develop new talent as we strive to reach and serve new and more diverse audiences, while also allowing us to cultivate and present fresh voices and new perspectives. As has been historically the case, our interns frequently apply for and are hired as entry level positions become available.
Key Learning Goals:
* Develop an understanding of regular operations in Classical, including live broadcasts, production of national shows, audio/video post-production, and music programming.
* Become adept in using key production tools, such as content management systems, Adobe Creative Suite and Excel spreadsheets.
* Follow ideas from inception to publication of various forms of digital features.
* Manage social media.
* Pitching, writing, and building content for digital platforms including YourClassical.org, and ClassicalMPR.org.
* Working across the department including APM's national programs (Performance Today, SymphonyCast, and Pipedreams); with the Program Director, Music Director, and on-air hosts on the day-to-day production and operations of KSJN, Classical 24, and live events/broadcasts.
* Participate with the Education team in bringing classical music to Minnesota schools with the Class Notes program.
* Assist with recording session production, logistics and audio editing.
* Partial subsidy for onsite parking or bus transportation. Day to day transportation is your responsibility.
* Eligible to accrue for sick and safe time off.
* Eligible for health insurance as required under the ACA.
* Participate in robust on-boarding experience.
* Professional development: on-the-job training, personality assessment training, formal performance review feedback sessions, etc.
* Opportunities to be mentored by one of our top professionals within public media.
* Volunteering opportunities.
* Sophomores, Juniors, Seniors OR recent graduate (Bachelor's or Master's degree) of no more than 1 year from a college/university program.
* Demonstrated interest and passion for music.
* Ability to work independently.
* Basic computer knowledge with an ability to learn new programs upon request.
* Maintain a strong attention to detail.
* Ability to process and report program information.
* An alert and resourceful approach to problem solving and time management.
* Demonstrated interest in and passion for classical music.
* Experience in media arts and audio presentation.
* Experience with digital tools and applications (Photoshop, html, servers, etc.).
Next Step in the Application:
In addition to your skills and knowledge, we want to get to know you in the application process. In addition to your resume, please include a cover letter (of no more than 1 page) with answers to the following:
* What professional skills would you like to add to your toolbox in the months and years to come to grow in your career field?
* Where do you see yourself professionally in five-years and how will this role help you achieve that goal?
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
* Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
* Physical Demands:
* Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time.
* Required to move about in the community.
* Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
* Working Conditions:
* Moderate noise level.
* Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.
American Public Media https://americanpublicmedia.applicantpro.com
microsoft word, time management, research, social media, microsoft excel, html, internships, volunteering, adobe photoshop, creativity, premiere, writing, organization, pitching, public