ChemTrack Student Intern
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, United States
Updated: about 19 hours ago
Location: Livermore, CALIFORNIA
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2019 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for an undergraduate level temporary chemical inventory student intern technician. Under close to general supervision, the position will support the ChemTrack Team performing a broad range of chemical inventory, Safety Data Sheet (SDS) management, and related database management tasks necessary to meet project objectives, regulatory compliance and operational requirements. The work environment is physically demanding and team-oriented, with emphasis on performing work safely and thoroughly in a variety of settings (e.g. machine shops, laboratories, outside locations, etc.). This position interacts routinely with other team members and diverse stakeholders, including researchers, crafts, and facility personnel. This position is in the Program Services and Operations Office within the Environment, Safety and Health (ES&H) Directorate.
- Track hazardous materials site-wide using ChemTrack inventory tablets, laser scanners, and RFID printers.
- Investigate, assess and resolve chemical inventory discrepancies in LLNL facilities to ensure accurate reporting.
- Perform hazardous material reduction efforts in conjunction with LLNL Programs and Radioactive and Hazardous Waste Management (RHWM).
- Collect data and tag previously untracked hazardous materials.
- Respond to customer requests for inventory and SDS services.
- Research, locate and acquire SDS documents for data processing.
- Perform SDS data entry and validation; detect and resolve discrepancies; scan and upload SDS images into the ChemTrack SDS database.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be a continuing college or university student in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing an undergraduate degree in physical or biological sciences, ES&H, Occupational Safety and Health or a related field.
- Basic knowledge of chemistry and chemical nomenclature.
- Ability to solve basic technical problems using established guidelines, techniques and procedures. Ability to acquire and analyze basic data and report results. Ability to work safely with hazardous materials.
- Familiarity with portable data collection equipment such as bar code readers and tablets.
- Effective interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills to communicate technical information.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment in a fast-paced, schedule-driven environment.
- Effective organizational skills with detail orientation necessary to handle multiple tasks in an environment with conflicting priorities, tight and changing deadlines, and frequent interruptions while providing high-level customer service.
- Experience with personal computer systems, databases and corresponding software, including Microsoft Office (e.g. Word, Excel and Outlook).
- Ability to perform physically demanding work for long periods of time, including working outside, extensive bending, crouching, kneeling, standing, walking, reaching, crawling, balancing, and climbing stairs and ladders; and the ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- GPA of 3.0 or above.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) L-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. L-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Temporary Student Intern appointment. This assignment is for a full-time position during the summer academic break; full-time during the academic semester/quarter, or a year-round part-time position during the academic year and full time during academic breaks. Refer to the Scholar Program website at https://scholars.llnl.gov/ for additional student employment information. Selected applicants will be required to provide transcripts.
research, science, data collection, microsoft office, microsoft excel, microsoft word, customer service, organization, microsoft outlook, data entry, microsoft access, laboratory skills, chemistry, databases, team-oriented