Research Scientist in Computational Fluid Dynamics
Oak Ridge National Laboratory, United States
Updated: about 4 hours ago
Location: Oak Ridge, TENNESSEE
Requisition Id 1430
The ORNL Modeling and Simulation group uses advanced modeling techniques to develop and demonstrate solutions for a wide range of energy, biomedical, homeland security and defense-related applications, including electric grid modeling and simulation, systems analysis for optimization and reliability, design and performance evaluation of renewable energy, design and analysis of fuel production systems, critical infrastructure analysis, nuclear systems analysis, and atmospheric risk and quality assurances.
In this role, you will be a part of the Heat and Mass Transfer team of the Modeling and Simulation group in the Computational Sciences and Engineering Division. The Heat and Mass Transfer team engages in system analysis for optimization, reliability, design, and performance of fuel production systems and critical infrastructures. More information on the M&S group may be found at https://www.ornl.gov/division/csed/modeling-simulation .
* Establish and conduct research within the field of heat and mass transfer as it relates to energy efficiency, fuel production, and critical infrastructure analysis.
* Interact with sponsors to define, execute, and report on relevant project elements.
* Actively collaborate with domain experts from U.S. government laboratories and academia involved in similar efforts.
* Publish high quality research results in peer-reviewed open or classified journals and conferences, if so authorized by the sponsoring agency.
* Publish and presentation of non-sensitive research in professional journals and conferences.
* Develop proposals and work statements for funding.
* PhD in Mechanical Engineering or related field.
* 2+ years of professional R&D experience outside of a Ph.D. in the areas of heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and fluid structural interaction analysis.
* 5+ years of relevant professional R&D experience outside of MS.
* Strong computational skills.
* A proven publication track record.
* A demonstrated computer skills set, including programming in FORTRAN, MATLAB, and similar tools; as well as Linux, Windows, and MAC-OS operability.
* Experience with modeling of heat transfer processes and equipment such as heat exchangers and compressors.
* A proven record of code development for performing heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and fluid structural interaction analysis. Other areas of interest and experience requested include modeling of nuclear reactor systems.
* Experience with overset grid modeling and development and free surface flows.
* A proven record of successful proposal development.
* Excellent communication (spoken and written), strategic planning, organization, and decision-making skills.
* Demonstrated prior leadership experience.
* This position requires access to technology that is subject to export control requirements and to sensitive projects. Successful candidates must be qualified for such access without an export control license.
* It is required of this position the ability to obtain and maintain a clearance from the Department of Energy. As such, this position is a Workplace Substance Abuse program (WSAP) testing designed position which requires passing a pre-placement drug test and participation in an ongoing random drug testing program in which employees are subject to being randomly selected for testing. The occupant of this position will also be subject to an ongoing requirement to report to ORNL any drug-related arrest or conviction or receipt of a positive drug test result.
ORNL Ethics and Conduct: As a member of the ORNL scientific community, you will be expected to commit to ORNL's Research Code of Conduct. Our full code of conduct, and a statement by the Lab Director's office can be found here: https://www.ornl.gov/content/research-integrity
Benefits at ORNL: UT-Battelle offers a quality benefits package, including a matching 401(k), contributory pension plan, paid vacation, and medical/dental plan options. Onsite amenities include a credit union, medical clinic, cafeteria, coffee stands, and fitness facilities.
Relocation: UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the About tab at jobs.ornl.gov .
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
Nearest Major Market: Knoxville
r&d, laboratory skills, matlab, fortran, scientific papers, microsoft word, leadership, strategic planning, programming, communication, microsoft windows, linux, html, presentations, optimization