Congo Expedition Internship (Fall 2019)
Columbus Zoo & Aquarium
Powell, OH 43065
The goal of this internship is to provide a basic understanding of general husbandry of the animals located in the Congo Expedition region. Students will gain hands-on experience in the field while learning the day-to-day responsibilities of a Zookeeper.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to assisting full-time keepers in preparing animal diets, cleaning and maintaining animal enclosures and exhibits, observing animals and reporting any behavioral changes, designing and delivering educational interpretation to the general public regarding animal behavior, habitat and conservation issues, maintaining area grounds and buildings and performing other duties as assigned. Interns will also be required to complete various quizzes, trainings, projects, and a final reflection paper assigned by the department.
* College student (2nd year or higher) or recent graduate (6 months or less) in Zoology, Biology, Wildlife Management, Animal Science, Veterinary Medicine or related program.
* 3.0 or above accumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale preferred.
* TB test required upon starting.
* Prior animal care experience preferred.
* Ability to perform strenuous physical work required (see Physical Demands section on next page)
* Ability to balance multiple assignments successfully.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
* Must be neat in appearance and maintain courteous behavior at all times.
* Ability to maintain cooperative working relationships with all Zoo team members and contacts regarding company business required.
* Ability to adhere to standard operating procedures including but not limited to safety protocols required.
* Ability to provide excellent guest service by positively interacting with guests and upholding the Make It G.R.E.A.T. guest services standards.
* Ability to work in varied weather conditions (i.e. extreme heat, cold, rain, snow).
* Ability to work a flexible schedule including weekends, evenings and holidays (July 4th, Memorial Day, Columbus Day) required.
* Subject to BMV check.
* Subject to Criminal Background check.
training, cooperative, written communication, organization, written and verbal communication, teamwork, microsoft powerpoint, microsoft word, matlab, social media, time management, data analysis, communication, spanish, chinese