Law School Intern
Job Posting End Date: 05/21
Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 33 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
The Unum Law Department Intern Program is a semester long paid internship for law students in their second year of law school. The program is designed to provide participants with a realistic view of in-house counsel practice at Unum, including exposure to the companys culture and business.
Unum is seeking qualified candidates for its in-house legal department intern program for its Portland, ME office. The Unum Legal Department is comprised of 60+ lawyers providing legal advice, support and risk management to all of the companys operating business units. Areas of practice include: Litigation, Corporate Law, Insurance Operations Law, Employment Law, Claims Advisory Law, Ethics and Compliance Law, and Governmental Affairs.
* Start date is August 2019 and the program concludes in December 2019.
* 10-12 hours per week. The hours are flexible but have to be scheduled during regular business hours Monday through Friday 8am-5pm.
* Meaningful assignments from one or more designated functional areas in the Law Department and participation in business-oriented events to gain an understanding of what it is like to work an in-house lawyer.
* Opportunities to network and build relationships with Law Department personnel through work assignments and designated mentors.
* The intern will be assigned a mentor lawyer. Mentors are responsible for answering questions, providing guidance on work assignments, and ensuring the summer interns visibility within the department.
* The intern will receive evaluations of his/her work product from the assigned attorney. These evaluations focus on quality of work, ability to work with others, motivation/commitment, personality (maturity, enthusiasm, poise and confidence), and promptness/efficiency.
* This semester long program is for law students who will be in their second year of law school in August 2019
* Grade point average within the top-third of the class
* Strong critical thinking, research, and analysis skills
* Comfort with ambiguity
* Demonstrated leadership abilities
* Clear commitment to personal and professional development
* Excellent oral and written communication skills
* Strong ability to influence, persuade and negotiate with others
* Strong commitment to teamwork and able to work independently within established timeframes
* Business experience is a plus
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.
research, litigation, microsoft word, corporate law, teamwork, employment law, legal advice, ethics, leadership, negotiation, event management, critical thinking, organization, risk management, compliance