Intern, San Diego Learning Lab
Location: San Diego
Posted on: July 3, 2019
Job Description:Intern, San Diego Learning Lab
The Vertex Summer Internship Program offers students the opportunity to learn about the pharmaceutical industry from a hands-on perspective. You will be working closely with and learning from some of the brightest people in the industry. When you join our internship program you should not be surprised to see that our environment is one that is innovative and team oriented, where collaboration is not just a word, and "we are fearless" is in everything we do. Students can expect to be challenged by their summer project plan, connect with other interns, and feel valued by the Vertex community. Not only will interns learn about their day-to-day tasks through their specific work assignments, but they will interact and have exposure to our organizational leaders and their teams through a series of Professional Development Workshops.
Be FEARLESS... Join us and help kick start the path to your career!
We are seeking an Intern to join the San Diego Learning Lab, a 1,500 sq. ft. laboratory space devoted to enhancing science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) education in our community. The lab hosts a number of activities and programs where students can work alongside Vertex scientists, with the goal of inspiring scientific inquiry and developing the next generation of scientists. Our environment is fast-paced, innovative and team-oriented, where collaboration is not just a word, and "Fearless Pursuit of Excellence" is in everything we do.
The Learning Lab Intern will gain hands-on experience developing and refining science laboratory lessons, while working directly with students and teachers from across San Diego County. S/he will participate in supporting the daily operations of the Lab and work closely with all members of the Learning Lab team, volunteers, and Vertex scientists.
Duration of internship: Minimum 6 months
The successful applicant should be able to work approximately 20 hours/week during school and approximately 40 hours/week during the summer.
* Assist with all student programs and Learning Lab events
* Assist with execution of lab activities during student visits
* Assist with development and refinement of lab protocols
* Create new teaching materials (slides, videos) to improve current curriculum
* Assist with student tracking and Learning Lab metrics
* Develop new materials to improve social media platform (eg create videos, photos and blog articles)
* Create surveys and evaluate impact through tracking of student data and feedbackQualification:
* Must be currently enrolled as a college student in a STEM field
* Previous experience working with K-12 students in a teaching or mentoring capacity
* Experience working in a research lab setting
* Experience with MS Office suite and spreadsheet data analysis--Preferred Qualifications
* Passionate about teaching and working with students
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills
* Background or interest in education; experience teaching or leading groups
* Experience with social media representation and video publishing
* Ability to organize, multitask and prioritize work; problem solve while meeting aggressive timelines
* Self-motivated; able to deliver results with limited direction
* Flexible and able to adapt in a dynamic working environment
* Comfortable interacting with individuals at all levels, from students to senior leaders
* Minimum grade point average of 3.2--is preferred
microsoft word, research, social media, data analysis, organization, team-oriented, event management, engineering, teaching, science, video, math, laboratory skills, publishing, pharmaceutical industry