Mayor & City Council Support Specialist
City of Charlotte
CoC Job Details
Charlottes local government, with more than 7,000 employees and a $2.39 billion budget, works hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play.
Mayor & City Council Support Specialist Office of Constituent Services
The City of Charlotte is seeking a highly skilled Mayor & City Council Support Specialist to join the Office of Constituent Services. The Mayor & City Council Support Specialist is primarily responsible for providing administrative support to members of Charlotte City Council. The ideal candidate must be very detail-oriented, responsive, organized, and efficient and provide excellent customer service to both Council and the public.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
* Effectively manage schedules for assigned City Council members, ensuring their calendars are up-to-date and they are informed of upcoming meetings/events
* Validate the relevancy of meetings
* Providing supplemental background information on the meeting topics and key meeting attendees
* Coordinate, arrange, and confirm assigned meetings and travel/other arrangements for City Council members
* Receive and screen visitors and telephone calls, providing information and handling issues that may require sensitivity and the use of sound independent judgment
* Review and determine the priority of and route assigned incoming correspondence
* Provide back-up support to team members and performs other related secretarial duties as needed
* Analyze complex administrative problems and prepare recommendations with a high level of discretion
* Enter all constituent information/service requests into the customer relationship management software system, track the progress of service requests and provide updates on services requests on a routine basis to City Council members.
* Remain up-to-date on city programs to provide timely and accurate response to constituents
* Attend City Council meetings as needed to provide support to elected officials, manage presentation materials, and document any follow-up items requested by the elected officials
* Coordinate Town Hall, District and other community meetings requested by assigned elected officials
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
* Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and written/oral communication skills
* Proven ability to work as a team member and with diverse workgroups, various departments, (or independently) and follow up with all colleagues
* Demonstrated ability to establish and adhere to priorities and multitask in a fast-paced environment
* Positive attitude and supportive, team-based approach
* Non-political and have the ability to serve all political parties
* Ability to interact on a professional level with City staff and City Council members
* Ability to set work priorities and meet deadlines
* Schedule flexibility allowing for occasional assignments on weeknights and weekends
* Office administrative practices and procedures; principles and practices of sound business communications
* Advanced Microsoft Office skills (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
* Ability to maintain highly sensitive and confidential information
* Set priorities and takes initiative
* Exercise sound independent judgment within the areas of responsibility
* Establish and maintain effective working relationships with public officials, organizations, departments and teammates
* Adapt to and manage rapidly changing priorities to meet the needs and expectations of elected officials, executives, and staff
Associate degree with three (3) years of relevant work experience; or a Bachelor's degree with one year of relevant work experience; or an equivalent commbination of education and relevant experience that provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the essential job duties
* Commensurate with Experience
* The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees. Click here to learn more about the City of Charlottes benefits
* The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace
How to Apply:
If you need assistance completing your online application, you are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available.
Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays. Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
Conditions of Employment:The Citys Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidates written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments. The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
training, microsoft word, policy, education, microsoft office, customer service, microsoft excel, microsoft powerpoint, event management, human resources, organization, presentations, detail oriented, multitasking, political science