The Metropolitan Planning Council is seeking a detail-oriented individual with excellent communication and multi-tasking skills for an unpaid Development Internship. We are now accepting applications for Fall 2019. The priority application deadline for Fall 2019 is August 15, 2019, but applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until all positions are filled.
Candidates receiving school credit or compensation through a fellowship or work-study program will receive preference in staffing decisions, but all are welcome to apply.
This individual should have a strong understanding of and/or interest in fundraising, philanthropy, marketing, and nonprofit management. The individual will contribute and receive exposure to a variety of projects associated with the front and back-end operations of a Development department.
The individual work in collaboration with a team of five other staff and will have the opportunity to help shape innovative fundraising ideas for MPC.
Over the course of the internship, the individual will have responsibilities involving support for fundraising campaigns; major gifts; marketing; gift acknowledgement; Raisers Edge database entry; and fundraising research.
* Assist with creation, copywriting, and production of solicitation and stewardship materials including direct mail letters, e-mails, online ads, social media, blog posts, and donor acknowledgement correspondence
* Assist with projects that promote the work of MPC (i.e. brochures, fundraising pitches in the Regionalist e-newsletter, Impact Reports to donors)
Database, Gift Processing/Acknowledgement
* Train on Raisers Edge donor database
* Support gift acknowledgment letter processing, and database clean-up projects
* Perform basic level analysis (For example, research trends in MPCs Annual Luncheon giving)
* Conduct research on corporate and foundation prospects
* Assist with research on potential and current individual donors
* Assist with preparation and execution of MPCs signature Annual Luncheon fundraising event
* Support MPCs Communications and Development team to create unique Urban Think & Drink, Roundtable and other special public events.
* Preferred:Current (or newly graduated) graduate-level students studying Nonprofit Management, Social Work, Marketing, Business, Communications, or related field. Current undergraduate junior or senior students pursing a relevant degree will also be considered.
* Outstanding writing skills and an effective communicator
* Detail-oriented, inquisitive, and thoughtful
* Efficient and effective multi-tasking and time management skills
* Excellent interpersonal skills
* Team player with the ability to work independently and self-direct
* Computer Skills: Microsoft Office, Database experience (Raisers Edge preferred)
How to Apply:
The priority application deadline for Fall 2019 is August 15, 2019, but applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until all positions are filled. Please send the following materials by e-mail to email@example.com:
1. A current resume;
2. A cover letter articulating your specific interest in MPC, your relevant professional experience, and a proposed internship schedule; and
3. A short (2-3 page) writing sample, preferably related to fundraising.
1. Compensation from MPC: Please note if you are applying for a unpaid Internship position, or if you require compensation from MPC.
2. External compensation: Note if you are seeking Federal work-study compensation or external funding from your college/university or an outside program to fund your position at MPC.
3. Please note if you are applying for this position to receive college/university course credit, or fullfill an internship requirement
No phone calls please. For more information on MPC, please visit our website: www.metroplanning.org
MPC is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
research, microsoft office, analysis, social media, marketing, fundraising, time management, event management, writing, planning, organization, materials, innovation, sustainability, environmental awareness