Zookeeper - Small Nocturnal Mammals
Memphis Zoo - Memphis, TN
4 Year Degree
This position is primarily responsible for daily husbandry of a collection of animals as it relates to their physiological and psychological well-being as well as providing general maintenance of enclosures and habitats within an assigned exhibit. The Zoo Keeper is also responsible for ensuring a positive guest experience when interacting with guests and facilitating keeper chats.
The collection is managed in a reverse-light cycle building and encompasses a variety of small mammals including aardvarks, agoutis, armadillos (three-banded and six-banded), bats (bulldog bat, Egyptian Rousettus bat, Sebas short-tailed bat, and vampire bat), binturong, bushbabies, genets, kinkajous, lorises (slender and pygmy slow), mongoose lemur, naked mole rats, owl monkey, pottos, tree pangolin, tamandua, and two-toed sloths.
Essential Job Functions
* Daily husbandry of assigned animals.
* Facilitates formal and informal public presentations to engage guests and provide a positive guest experience.
* Actively observes animals behavior, checking for any signs of illness or disorder; reports irregularities and abnormal behavior to supervisor; works with vet staff to address medical needs.
* Prepares and administers appropriate daily diets and maintain accurate records of assigned animals.
* Appropriately cleans and disinfects assigned animal enclosures/habitats according to written protocols and ensures a sanitary and safe environment.
* Exercise good judgement when making decisions that affect our collection.
* Assists hospital staff in all aspects of animal treatment within the assigned section.
* May incorporate modern behavioral husbandry techniques such as operant conditioning and environmental enrichment into animal care.
Qualifications & Competencies
* Bachelors degree in Zoology, Biology, or a related field.
* Previous experience in the daily husbandry of small nocturnal animals.
Preferred Qualifications: Knowledge of basic principles of experimental design is desirable for providing husbandry to animals which are contributing to conservation research projects.
* Written and oral communication Proficiency
* Proficient in MS Office, current technology and applications for communication, research and record keeping.
* Records and reports creation and management
* Problem Solving/Analysis.
* Stress Management/Composure.
* Teamwork Orientation.
Supervisory Responsibility: None
Reporting Structure: Reports to Associate Curator
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work: This is a full-time position that works up to 40 hrs per week and regularly requires weekend work.
Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works in outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, chemicals and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet while in the office, or moderately loud while on Zoo grounds.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, talk and hear. The employee is constantly required to use hands and fingers to feel, handle or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
biology, teamwork, zoology, veterinary, animal care, zoo, animal handling, animals, operant conditioning, enrichment, education, problem solving, presentations, experimental design, treatment