Intern - High Confidence System Environments R&D Graduate Year Round
Sandia National Laboratories
We are seeking a SEM graduate student interested in performing a variety of functions in areas such as machine learning/deep learning, cybersecurity, data analytics, and software engineering and development. The selected candidate will be working with Sandia staff in an R&D engineering environment. The initial assignments will be entry-level work with the potential of increased responsibility as the selected candidate comes up to speed.
On any given day, you may be called on to
* Learn and apply software engineering principles in an R&D mission environment
* Assist with the development of training materials for a Deep Learning class
* Undertake software tool trade studies
* Evaluate Deep Learning frameworks and develop tools enabling improved access to state-of-the-art Deep Learning algorithms
* Lead an effort to evaluate data visualization tools/techniques that can be applied to the field of Deep Learning
* Present results of research and studies to others in the Group
* Perform penetration testing
You bring the confidence and skills to be eligible for the job by meeting these minimum requirements:
* Earned bachelor's degree
* Currently attending and enrolled full time in an accredited science, engineering, or math graduate program
* Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0/4.0
* Ability to work up to 30 hours per week during the academic year, and up to 40 hours per week during the summer
* U.S. citizenship
* Local residence and ability to work on-site
* Active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level security clearance
* Interest in Machine Learning/Deep Learning
* Experience with at least one well - established high level programming language such as C\+\+, C\#, Java, or Python
* Experience working on a team
* Experience with Agile software development processes
* Experience with a version control tool such as SVN
* Experience with data visualization and data analytic tools
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills
* Interest in full-time employment in computer science or cybersecurity after graduation
The High Confidence System Environments department offers modern and cutting-edge approaches to develop software, engineering, and process solutions for complex systems and challenging domains throughout the Labs. We combine our software and systems engineering and development experience with creativity and a disciplined approach to deliver mission products and systems with assured quality and to advance the state of the art in the practice of software and systems engineering.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nations premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
* Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
* Extraordinary co-workers
* Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
* Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
* Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance\
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers._ Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level security clearance to start.
Position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level security clearance or active clearance with another U.S. government agency (e.g., DOD) to be considered for this position.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
data analysis, java, python, programming, r&d, algorithm development, machine learning, research, microsoft word, energy management, software development, laboratory skills, software engineering, microsoft access, computer science