Software Engineer / Application Developer
ARAs Arlington Division (AD) is seeking a Software Engineer & Application Developer with a science and engineering background. The successful candidate will work with senior staff to develop software packages for both the desktop and web, and will support all aspects of software development, from the creation of user interfaces to producing visual presentations of results. Examples of problems that will require software development include but are not limited to geospatial data processing and analysis, network cascading effects analysis, and modeling health effects from Chemical, Biological, Radiological, or Nuclear (CBRN) exposure. The candidate is expected to develop and document new codes by working alongside modelers and mathematicians, modify existing and prototypical modeling and simulation software tools, and developing and executing tests. Software projects can range in size, from simple computational calculators to large, integrated modeling packages and web applications. The candidate will work in a dynamic and collaborative team environment.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience developing web-based applications, and broad experience using scripting and compiled languages, especially Java, Python, C++. In addition, the candidate should be familiar with the design and development of graphical user interfaces (GUIs). The successful candidate should enjoy collaborating with technical teams and, in particular, solving difficult scientific problems in a dynamic environment. The candidate should be independent, self-motivated, and eager to learn new skills. Experience in database design and development is considered a plus.
What youll do as a Software Engineer / Application Developer
* Develop mathematical/computational modeling software using a scripting language (e.g., Python, Perl, R) and a compiled language (e.g., C, C++, Java).
* Take responsibility for increasingly difficult tasks, completing them on schedule while documenting and presenting the results.
* Work with senior developers within a collaborative team environment, and support cross functional product development.
* Bachelors Degree in Engineering, Computer Science or related field and 5-7 years of related experience.
* Demonstrated knowledge of Docker and containerization of code.
* Demonstrated proficiency in scripting programming languages such as Python or R.
* A basic understanding of numerical versus analytical techniques.
* Willingness to learn new technologies as needed.
* Advanced degree with three to five years of related experience.
* Familiarity with Angular JS, Leaflet, is desirable.
* Experience with one more Integrated Development Environments such as Eclipse, Netbeans, or RStudio.
* Experience with one or more compilers such as Javac, GNU/MinGW, and Visual Studio.
* Experience with PostgreSQL or other database development is a plus.
* Experience with Windows and Linux operating systems.
* Experience with LaTeX is a plus.
* Experience with the following specific topics are considered pluses
* Big Data architectures and technologies
* Mobile applications development (Android, iOS, etc.).
* Experience with software configuration management is a plus.
* Experience with parallel computing (e.g., PVM, MPI, OpenMP, GPU) is a plus.
* Active DoD security clearance is a strong plus.
Applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information; requirements include being a U.S. citizen.