Mass Spectrometry Specialist
Bowling Green State University, United States
Updated: about 4 hours ago
Location: Bowling Green, OHIO
Job Type: FullTime
Deadline: 26 Jul 2019
Mass Spectrometry Specialist
Other Administrative Positions
BGSU Main Campus
Closing Date :
Ends at 11:59 pm Bowling Green, OH local time
Operate and maintain Department of Chemistrys Mass Spectrometry Facility that currently includes two GC-MS systems, one LC-MS system, one MALDI-TOF mass spectrometer and one Elemental Analyzer. Provide technical support for the instrumentation in both the Organic Chemistry and Integrated Analytical and Physical instructional laboratories.
Essential Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities:
* Carry out mass spectrometric analyses on samples submitted by the departments research groups. Assist researchers with interpretation of mass spectra.
* Establish and oversee a training protocol for students on the proper use of the various mass spectrometers. Manage a process to certify students on each instrument. Schedule training sessions at appropriate times in the semester.
* Maintain documentation of analytical routines/procedures and track instrument usage and performance.
* Provide technical assistance and oversight for instrumentation in the instructional Organic Chemistry Lab and the Integrated Analytical and Physical Lab. Assist with training students on proper instrument use.
* Carry out routine preventative maintenance and minor repairs on all instruments including the mass spectrometers, the gas and liquid chromatographs, and the vacuum systems.
* Troubleshoot hardware and software problems. Serve as point of contact for consultation with instrument vendor technical staff for assistance with major repairs and for acquiring and evaluating technical specifications to be used in external proposal submissions seeking funding for new instrumentation.
Minimum Qualifications & Salary:
Bachelor's Degree in Chemistry or a closely related field (such as Biochemistry) required, Masters degree preferred. Successful candidate must have Bachelors degree conferred at the time of application.
The following experience is required:
* 2 years experience using GC-Mass Spectrometer and LC-Mass Spectrometer, carrying out routine instrument maintenance, and troubleshooting problems
Full-time, Administrative staff position available. Administrative Grade Level 354. Salary is commensurate with education and experience. Full benefit package available.
Knowledge, Skills or Abilities
An understanding of chemical separation techniques and theory of operation of different mass spectrometers is necessary, as is familiarity with electronic circuits and vacuum techniques.
Cover Letter, Resume
troubleshooting, technical support, hardware, training, sales, routing, documentation, education, research, software, gas, maintenance, microsoft word, project management, team leadership