Auto req ID
403123 Info Tech Support Associate II
USA - MA - Boston
Info Tech Support Associate II
Research Computing Support Specialist
55 - Hvd Union Cler & Tech Workers
* Bachelor's degree in computer science, science, engineering, related field or equivalent experience
* Minimum of 1 year of Linux experience
* Experience with high-performance computing (especially Linux clusters) a strong plus
* Experience with scientific computing a plus
* Experience with (scientific) software installation a plus
* Scientific background a plus
* Proficiency with R, Python, Perl, and/or shell a plus
* Database management skills and knowledge of version control protocols (e.g. Git) a plus *Excellent verbal and written communication skills
* Ability to work with people of all levels of technical or scientific ability
* Ability to manage multiple assigned tasks and projects with minimal supervision
* Ability to collaborate effectively and efficiently with team members and members of the research community
This is a one-year term position with strong potential for renewal.
Harvard offers an outstanding benefits package including:
Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation, and complementary health services.
Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
The Harvard Medical School is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
35 hrs. per week | Monday - Friday | 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Duties & Responsibilities
Harvard Medical School is one of the nations preeminent medical research institutions. Its mission is to nurture a diverse, inclusive community dedicated to alleviating suffering and improving health and well-being for all through excellence in teaching and learning, discovery and scholarship, and service and leadership. The Research Computing Consulting group is a critical part of the research mission, educating and empowering investigators to access services and scaled facilities (particularly high-performance computing) and to use them efficiently and effectively.
The Research Computing Support Specialist is a member of the Research Computing Consulting Group, part of Research Computing in HMS IT. This position provides a first layer of support to researchers and members of their research team that need assistance using HMS high-performance computing systems resources.
This position monitors incoming support tickets, focusing on those that are more standard. This includes requests to gain access to High-Performance Compute (HPC) resources, like a cluster account or storage account management; providing customized information to researchers about available resources or policies; assistance in accessing and using HPC resources and troubleshooting difficulties in using those resources. In addition, this position collects information and requirements for more complex requests and assists Research Computing Consultants (RCCs) in handling more complex requests or those that require particular subject matter expertise.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Monitor incoming support tickets
* Provide templated responses to common requests, customized as needed
* Troubleshoot common problems with HPC resources, such as logging in and running jobs on the HPC cluster
* Provide information on policies and methods, including authoring and publishing documentation of support web sites
* Gather information on complex requests and collaborate with RCCs to resolve them
* Forward misdirected requests to other parts of IT, as appropriate, and collaborate with those groups for problem resolution
* Document and publish FAQs in online forums such as web sites and wikis
* Other duties as assigned
Harvard Medical School
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
troubleshooting, software installation, information technology, linux, storage, computer science, cluster, it, leadership, microsoft access, teaching, python, account management, engineering, event management