Office Automation Assistant Term Mb Job in LAUREL, MD
Vacancy No. DEN-2019-0225 Department Geological Survey
Salary $37,955.00 to $49,338.00 Grade 05 to 05
Perm/Temp Permanent FT/PT Full-time
Open Date 7/15/2019 Close Date 7/19/2019
Job Link Who may apply Public
Job Description (Please follow all instructions carefully)
* Open & closing dates
Opening and closing dates 07/15/2019 to 07/19/2019
* Pay scale & grade
$37,955 to $49,338 per year
* Appointment type
Term - This is a term appointment not to exceed 13 months with possible extensions up to a total of 4 years without further competition. Appointment to this position will not convey permanent status in the Federal service.
* Work schedule
FEW vacancies in the following location:
Relocation expenses reimbursed
This job is open to
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.
What General Information Do I Need To Know About This Position?
GS-05: $37,955 (Step 01) to $49,338 (Step 10);
NOTE: First time hires to the Federal Government are typically hired at the Step 01.
Learn more about this agency
As a Office Automation Assistant within the Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, some of your specific duties will include:
* Clerk Work: Uses multiple automation software programs such as Microsoft Office Suite in order to produce a wide range of documents; memos. training guides, correspondence, routing mail; signs for deliveries and notifies recipients.
* Record Management: Establishes, updates, and maintains office records of various types. Purges and disposes of office records/files in accordance with regulations ad procedures. Tracking and maintaining a file plan and organization system for the Center.
* Reception: Responsible for greeting and directing visitors and answering and directing phone calls. Maintain office supplies, printing support, and related materials or services. Assists with planning and organizing meetings, conferences and/or workshops.
* Correspondence: Prepares all types of correspondence to include emails, spreadsheets, memorandums, letters, publications, flyers, and training documents. Proofreads and edits documents for grammatical , spelling, and formatting errors.
* Customer Service: Answering general nontechnical questions for staff and the public. Maintains conference rooms: scheduling, set up, and maintenance. Booking transportation, making reservations, or supporting with travel arrangements.
Physical Demands: The work is sedentary. May require some walking, standing, bending, climbing stairs, and carrying and/or lifting of light items such as papers and books. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
Work Environment: The work is performed in a typical office setting, requiring the use of normal safety precautions necessary for an office environment. The work area is adequately lighted, heated, and ventilated.
Job family (Series)
0326 Office Automation Clerical And Assistance
Requirements Conditions Of Employment
* Applicants must be U.S. Citizens.
* Suitable for Federal employment, as determined by background investigation.
* Selectee may be subject to serving a one-year trial period.
* More requirements are listed under Qualifications and Other Information.
* Selectee must provide a valid state driver's license & safe driving record.
* Selectee subject to successful completion of a pre-employment medical exam.
Are There Any Special Requirements For This Position?
* A background investigation will be required for this position. Continued employment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements will be grounds for termination.
* Throughout the recruitment and hiring process we will be communicating with you via email; therefore, it is imperative that the email address you provide when applying for this vacancy remains active. Should your email address change, please notify the point of contact identified in the vacancy announcement as soon as possible so that we can update our system.
For information on basic qualifications, which includes information on whether you may substitute education for specialized experience, please click on the following: https://www.usgs.gov/about/organization/science-support/human-capital/office-automation-clerkassistant-gs-326.
If you are qualifying based on specialized experience, you must meet the requirements listed below:
One year of specialized experience in or directly related to the duties of the position to be filled that equipped the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position. To be creditable, the required specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the GS-04 level in the Federal service.
Examples of GS-4 level work may include: using word processing software to produce a variety of documents such as correspondence, reports, statistical charts, or similar material; editing and reformatting electronic drafts of lengthy reports; utilizing database or spreadsheet software to enter, revise, sort or calculate, and retrieve data for standard reports. For those positions that involve both office automation AND clerical duties, additional examples may include: ensuring consistency of format and proper punctuation/grammar of work products; compiling and assembling data; opening and routing mail, answering phones and responding to general inquiries.
For all the examples given above, the work required exercising initiative in completing recurring assignments according to established procedures and practices, receiving detailed instructions on first time or unusual assignments, and receiving assistance on unusual problems or conditions that were not described in established procedures, precedents, or special instructions. A designated person checked completed work for accuracy and compliance with procedures or instructions.
**OR a full four years of progressive, successfully completed education above the high school level in any field for which high school graduation or the equivalent was a prerequisite may be used to meet the qualification requirements for GS-5.
**OR a combination of successfully completed post-high school education and specialized experience may be used to meet the qualification requirements for GS-5. Only progressive education in excess of the first 60 semester hours, 90 quarter hours or 1,440 hours of classroom instruction (i.e., beyond the first two years) of a course of study is creditable toward meeting the specialized experience requirement.
You must meet all qualification and eligibility requirements for the position by the closing date of the announcement.
* Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g. Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
* Education completed in colleges or universities outside the United States may be used to meet the above requirements. You must provide acceptable documentation that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. For more information on how foreign education is evaluated, visit: https://www.usgs.gov/about/organization/science-support/human-capital/how-foreign-education-evaluated-federal-jobs .
* Applicants who include vulgar, offensive, or inappropriate language or information in their application package will be ineligible for further consideration for this position.
* Under Executive Order 11935, only United States citizens and nationals (residents of American Samoa and Swains Island) may compete for civil service jobs. Agencies are permitted to hire non-citizens only in very limited circumstances where there are no qualified citizens available for the position.
* USGS employees are subject to Title 43, USC Section 31(a) and may not: (a) have any personal, private, direct or indirect interest in lands or mineral wealth of lands under survey; (b) have any substantial personal, private, direct or indirect interests in any private mining or mineral enterprise doing business with the United States; or (c) execute surveys or examinations for private parties or corporations.
* The application contains information subject to the Privacy Act (P.L. 93-579, 5 USC 552a). The information is used to determine qualifications for employment, and is authorized under Title 5, USC, Section 3302 and 3361.
* DOI uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
* THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
How You Will Be Evaluated
--Vacancy Related Questions: As part of the online application process, you will need to respond to a series of questions designed to assess your possession of the following knowledge skills, abilities and/or competencies:
* Office Automation
* Written Communication
* Administrative Regulations/Procedures
* Information Management
* Plan & Organize Work
* Technology Application
* Compile/Analyze Data
* Correspondence Procedures
* Interpersonal Communication
--Basis of rating: Category rating will be used in the ranking and selection process for this position. The quality categories are Best Qualified, Well Qualified, and Qualified. You will be rated on the extent and quality of your experience, education, and training relevant to the duties of the position. If you are eligible, your on-line responses to the application questions will determine your placement in the appropriate quality category described above. Your responses must be substantiated by your resume. If you do not respond to the application questions you may be rated ineligible. Veterans' preference rules for category rating will be applied.
--NOTE: If it is determined that you have rated yourself higher than is supported in your description of experience and/or education as described in your resume/application, or that your resume or application is incomplete, you may be rated ineligible, not qualified, or your score may be lowered.
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
* Required Documents
--If this position requires specific educational course work to qualify, or you are qualifying based in whole or part on education, you are required to provide all unofficial transcripts (undergraduate, graduate, etc.) or list of course work, which includes semester hours earned and grade received, by the closing date of this announcement or you will be disqualified from further consideration. This proof may be faxed, document uploaded, or hand delivered to the servicing Human Resources Office (see "Required Documents" and/or "Contact Information"). Please ensure that all documentation is legible.
--If you are claiming veterans' preference you must provide a legible copy of your DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, member 4 copy or any official documentation or statement from the Armed Forces that confirms your dates of service and that your separation, discharge, or release from active duty was under honorable conditions (i.e., Honorable or General Discharge). Note: If you have more than one DD-214 for multiple periods of active duty, submit a copy for each period of service.
--If you are currently on active military duty, you must provide documentation (e.g., campaign document, award citation, etc.), that verifies entitlement to veterans preference and that your character of military service is honorable.
--If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, in addition to the documents specified above, you must also submit documentation that supports your claim, e.g., an official statement from the Department of Veterans Affairs (dated 1991 or later) or from a branch of the Armed Forces certifying the existence of a service-connected disability, or the award of the Purple Heart, etc. The overall rating must be identified on your certification letter or separation orders.
--Documentation must be received by the closing date shown in this vacancy announcement. If you fail to submit any of the required documentation, you will not be granted veterans preference. Additional information on veterans' preference can be found in the VetGuide.
--If you are claiming CTAP/ICTAP eligibility, the Servicing Human Resources Office must receive proof by the closing date of this announcement that you meet the requirements of 5 CFR 330 Subpart F for CTAP and 5 CFR 330 Subpart G for ICTAP or you will not receive priority consideration. This includes a copy of the agency notice, your most recent Performance Rating, and your most recent SF-50 noting current position, grade level, and duty location. Required documents may be faxed, uploaded, or hand delivered to the servicing Human Resources Office (see "Contact Information"). If you are a CTAP or ICTAP eligible, you will be considered well qualified if you earn a minimum score of 85 (prior to the assignment of veteran's preference points). For more information on CTAP/ICTAP please click here.
--If you are applying for this position based on eligibility under a special appointing authority, the Servicing Human Resources Office must receive proof of eligibility by the closing date of this announcement. For additional information on special appointing authorities, visit: https://www.usgs.gov/about/organization/science-support/human-capital/non-competitive-appointment-information
--Required documents may be: 1)faxed to the Agency Contact (see "Contact Information") 2)uploaded directly from your desktop 3)uploaded directly from your USAJOBS stored attachments 4)hand delivered to the servicing Human Resources Office (see 'Contact Information').
--Auto-Requested Fax: allows you to submit required documentation that will be electronically displayed along with your resume.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
* Benefits for federal employees
* Healthcare insurance
* Pay and leave
* The U.S. Geological Survey has determined that the duties of this position are suitable for telework only during an emergency or natural disaster
* For additional information on our internal telework policy, please reference the Department of the Interior Telework Handbook at: https://www.doi.gov/sites/doi.gov/files/telework_handbook_october_2012_rev_march_2013.pdf.
* Working for the U.S. Geological Survey offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; health, life, dental, vision, and long term care insurance, flexible spending accounts, and participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
microsoft office, customer service, microsoft excel, microsoft word, research, training, policy, teamwork, microsoft access, federal government, spreadsheets, accounts payable, records management, clerical, scheduling