Mechanical Engineering Intern at Speck (A Samsonite Company)
Posted in General Business about 13 hours ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: San Mateo, California
Speck is obsessed with designing cases that are just as smart and indispensable as the gadgets they protect. We are captivated by technology, fanatical about our gadgets, and consumed with making products people love. Our focus on what people care about inspires us to craft cases that are a perfect fit. We make cases that don't just protect our favorite devices - they also enhance them, with clever details that spark delight in our customers.
Speck's Mechanical Engineering Intern will work alongside our product development and design team to support new product development, sustaining, and innovation projects. An internship at Speck will give you practical experience in the consumer electronics protection industry where you will get exposure to our new product development life cycle, design for manufacturing techniques, industrial design practices, mechanical design tools, and building supplier relationships. You'll also be helping to launch some really cool new products.
This is a great opportunity for someone who loves being REALLY busy, rolling up their sleeves, and immersing themselves in a variety of tasks.
This is a full-time (40 hours/wk) paid internship opportunity! This will be approximately 3-6 months starting in the Fall.
What You'll Do:
* Work with cross functional teams to assist with design and developing new products.
* Collaborate with industrial design team to determine product styling, design for manufacturability and user ergonomics.
* Support hands-on enclosure/parts mechanical architecture design, analysis, documentation and functional validation of mechanical components and assemblies for a variety of accessory products.
* Assist with creating prototypes of new products and packaging using resources such as 3D printing (FDM, SLA), silicone casting, laser cutting and vacuforming.
* 2D and 3D CAD modeling and engineering support for project deliverables.
* Perform minor FEA analysis on components to determine strength and physical constraints
* Learn techniques that are critical to successful development of production parts growing knowledge, and understanding of materials, part manufacturing methodologies, injection molding, and rapid prototyping methods.
* Manage the prototype/Test Lab to ensure necessary items are in supply, organize, fix and maintain equipment.
* Participate in testing to evaluate products and determine limitations such durability and drop testing
* Will be actively involved in brainstorming and product issue troubleshooting to share ideas and unique thoughts with the design team.
* Potential to assist in or own a project that will bring products from concept to production
* You are a recent graduate with a Bachelor in Mechanical Engineering.
* You have had some awesome internship experiences!
* You love tinkering and fixing things.
* Passionate about the Consumer Electronic industry. You might be a gadget geek.
* Passionate about product development and creating a great user experience
* Experience with 2D drawings, design of experiments, and programming are a bonus, but not required.
* You may have some experience with 3D CAD (Creo/ProE, Solidworks) and building prototypes.
solidworks, mechanical engineering, cad, design for manufacturing, rapid prototyping, 3d printing, design of experiments, 3d modeling, pro-e, design for assembly, laser cutting, industrial design, creo, mechanical design, fea