Director of Internal Audit
Orion Houston, TX
Posted 12 days ago
Experience - 10 years
Degree - 4 Year Degree
How Do You Compare to the Competition?
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
Orion, is a leading specialty construction company, providing services both on and off the water in the continental United States, Alaska, Canada and the Caribbean Basin through its heavy civil marine construction segment, its industrial segment, and its commercial concrete construction segment. The Companys heavy civil marine construction segment services includes marine transportation facility construction, marine pipeline construction, marine environmental structures, dredging of waterways, channels and ports, environmental dredging, design, and specialty services. The Companys industrial segment provides heavy civil construction and specialty services to the industrial market. The Companys commercial concrete segment provides turnkey concrete construction services including pour and finish, dirt work, layout, forming, rebar, and mesh across the light commercial, structural and other associated business areas. The Company is headquartered in Houston, Texas with regional offices throughout its operating areas.
For additional information, go to: http://www.oriongroupholdingsinc.com.
Orion has an immediate opening for a Director of Internal Audit, in Houston, TX. This position will provide independent and objective assurance, evaluations, analyses to add value and improve the Companys operations and effectiveness of governance and risk management processes. This role will ensure the Company is in compliance with all internal control testing and documentation in accordance with Sarbanes Oxley.
* Provides management with a comprehensive risk management process to ensure that risks are identified and evaluate existing internal controls ability to mitigate the impact and likelihood of occurrence of the identified risks.
* Develops a flexible risk based annual internal audit plan using risk based support models and methodologies and ensure its full implementation and execution.
* Approves and oversees audit programs and testing procedures to ensure appropriateness for the areas in scope, fieldwork is within scope constraints and deadlines, identified risks are addressed and adequately provided for, and activities conform to regulations, Company policies and procedures and professional standards.
* Maintains an awareness of changes in operations, regulations and audit practices in order to evaluate effectiveness and efficiency and advocate and influence the highest standards of ethics, discipline and professionalism.
* Researches and stays abreast of legislative issues, new audit and accounting regulations/trends, new and emerging technologies, tools and methodology. Keep management informed of emerging trends and successful practices in auditing and controls testing.
* Facilitates the formulation of new procedures and organizational changes resulting from audit engagements and results of testing.
* Performs special reviews, if and when needed, for instances of alleged fraud and unethical misconduct. Review and report on these items to management and the Board of Directors as needed.
* Reports periodically to the Board of Directors audit plans and results of audit engagements.
* Works closely with external auditors to provide results of audit engagements, including but not limited to, Sarbanes Oxley testing. Ensure this documentation meets or exceeds the requirements of external auditors with respect to their utilization of this testing in order to reduce audit fees.
* Supervises, hires, evaluates, instructs, delegates duties and tasks, mentors and counsels internal audit staff.
* Maintains a professional audit staff with sufficient knowledge, training and skills to meet the requirements of internal audit standards.
* Develops and implements fraud and unethical behavior prevention programs driven by risk based support models.
* Participates in other special and ad hoc projects as required.
* All employees, current and former, must maintain confidentiality by not disclosing to others any confidential, proprietary or trade secret information belonging to the Company.
* Responds to requests to work on and complete special projects as may be required by the organization.
* Responsible and accountable for incumbents own personal safety.
* Responsible and accountable for the safety of all co-workers and any others incumbent comes in contact with.
* Authorized and obligated to stop work on any task or series of tasks whenever an unsafe condition or situation is anticipated or is observed.
* Complies with all applicable laws, regulations and Company policies and procedures, and is subject to appropriate disciplinary action (including dismissal) for failure to do so.
* Reports any and all violations of applicable laws, regulations or Company policies and procedures promptly, and is subject to appropriate disciplinary action (including dismissal) for failure to do so.
* A Bachelors degree in Accounting, CPA and/or CIA preferred with a minimum of ten years (10) years of experience of auditing experience.
* Preferably a mix of Big 4 accounting firm and industry.
* Construction industry is preferred, but not required.
* An excellent knowledge of US GAAP and Auditing Standards is required combined with the ability to research issues.
* Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage well through ambiguity and complexity.
* Ability to execute and follow-through to completion and documentation.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
* Ability to be a proactive, independent thinker who can multitask effectively.
* Microsoft office proficiency, including Word, Excel and Powerpoint.
* Discretion and trustworthiness, and the ability to keep all Company information and materials strictly confidential (both internally and externally) are essential elements of this position.
* Must be well organized, diligent, and be a self-starter with the ability to work with minimal supervision and to independently identify work to be done.
* Must be flexible, and have the ability to adjust to sudden changes in work priorities. The incumbent must also have the ability to prioritize work generally and in order to accommodate those changes.
* Attention to detail and extreme care in performing tasks accurately and carefully are also essential.
* Travel is expected to be less than 25%.
The Company expects and requires incumbent and each of its other employees to observe and fulfill the above and all other safety responsibilities and actively work toward maintaining a safe workplace. Failure to do so can result in disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
* The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable workplace accommodation.
* The individual must also be able to wear and properly utilize appropriate personal protective equipment if required to work or visit the jobsite.
* This may include hard hat, safety glasses, respirators, ear plugs, steel-toed shoes, personal flotation devices, or other equipment as required by the work performed and location the work is being done.
* The incumbent must possess the ability to remain calm during emergencies and respond appropriately as dictated by the circumstance of the incident and as directed by the Safety Representative or other management personnel.
* Must be capable of evacuating the work area in a timely manner should an emergency situation arise.
Compensation & Benefits:
An excellent compensation and benefits package is offered. Benefit plans include:
* Medical, including Prescription Drugs
* Life and AD&D Insurance
* Short Term and Long Term Disability Insurance
* Employee Assistance Plan
* 401(k) Retirement Plan
* Paid Time Off For Vacation, Sick, Holidays, Jury Duty and Bereavement Leave
* Pre-Tax Health and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
* Career Growth & Development
Qualified applicants should apply through the company career page: www.orionmarinegroup.com/careers*, or via e-mail. Candidates that do not meet the minimum requirements will not be considered.
The Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and sexual orientation), age, national origin, genetic information, disability, veteran status or any other category protected by law. Equal access to programs, services and employment is available to all persons. Any applicant requiring accommodation to the application and/or interview process should notify a representative of the Human Resources Department.
Help us improve CareerBuilder by providing feedback about this job: Report this Job.
For your privacy and protection, when applying to a job online, never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction. Learn more.
By applying to a job using CareerBuilder you are agreeing to comply with and be subject to the CareerBuilder Terms and Conditions for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the Terms and Conditions and both meet and comply with their provisions.
Orion a leading specialty construction company, provides services both on and off the water in the continental United States, Alaska, Canada and the Caribbean Basin through its heavy civil marine construction segment and its commercial concrete segment. The Companys heavy civil marine construction segment services includes marine transportation facility construction, marine pipeline construction, marine environmental structures, dredging of waterways, channels and ports, environmental dredging, design, and specialty services. Its commercial concrete segment provides turnkey concrete construction services including pour and finish, dirt work, layout, forming, rebar, and mesh across the light commercial, structural and other associated business areas. The Company is headquartered in Houston, Texas with regional offices throughout its operating areas.
* 12000 Aerospace Avenue
Houston, TX 77034
View Company Profile
auditing, internal audit, internal controls, sarbanes-oxley, accounting, risk management, external audit, us gaap, governance, assurance, certified public accountant, compliance, fraud, accounts payable, big 4