9 days ago
ORAM – Organization for Refuge, Asylum & Migration
Hours: Remote 15 hours/week, U.S.-based candidates only, Minneapolis-based preferred
Anticipated dates: October 1st – December 29, 2023
Are you passionate about topics such as migration, refugees, and LGBTIQ rights? Do you have experience or an interest in communications and/or nonprofit development? Do you have great attention to detail? Are you social media savvy?
ORAM advocates for the protection of extremely vulnerable refugees and asylum seekers who are fleeing persecution based on sexual orientation and/or gender identity and expression (SOGIE). This Communications Internship gives you the opportunity to assist with the development of our communications strategy; report on areas of interest such as human rights, migration, and refugees; support funding opportunities; and much more.
This Communications Internship gives you the opportunity to assist with the development of our communications strategy, report on areas of interest such as human rights, migration, refugees, support funding opportunities, and much more. You will also gain professional development training and a professional network of peers.
Below is a breakdown of responsibilities and includes duties, but may not be limited to, the following:
· Writing captivating social media content for ORAM’s main social media platforms.
· Creating branding materials and graphics using Canva.
· Scheduling and distributing social media content using Buffer.
· Compling monthly social media and website analytics.
· Writing and contributing blog posts on behalf of the organization (you will get a by-line!).
· Website maintenance using Wix.
· Assist with interviews of ORAM staff members in the field and with the LGBTIQ refugees whom ORAM serves.
· Assisting with event-planning.
· Gathering performance analytics from ORAM’s website, blog posts, newsletters, and social media channels and sharing them with the communications team
· Evaluating communications analytics and proposing new ideas and strategies
· Researching donors and funding opportunities
· Assisting with the maintenance of ORAM’s donor database
· Assisting with fundraising events
· Creating fundraising materials and assisting with fundraising campaigns.
· Attending regular meetings with the Communications and Development Coordinator.
· Attending weekly team meetings.
· Maintaining ORAM’s online organization.
· Preparing and formatting organizational documents.
· Other duties as needed.
We are proud to work on borderless teams. We bring on great people from a wide variety of backgrounds and specifically encourage members of the LGBTIQ community and/or refugee, immigrant, or other displaced communities to join us.
ORAM is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering employment and internships without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status. ORAM complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
Desired Skills include, but may not be limited to, the following:
· Interest in a career in communications or development (degrees in communications or social sciences are preferable)
· Experience working with social media channels such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
· Strong grasp of social media management and campaign development.
· Experience creating engaging social media content.
· Knowledge of Canva, Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator), Microsoft Suite, and Wix
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
· Knowledge of issues facing asylum seekers and refugees and/or interest in LGBTIQ issues
· Energy, enthusiasm, and a sense of humor
· Familiarity with ORAM’s existing communications channels and content
· Knowledge of social media analytics software including Facebook Insights, Google Analytics, and Twitter Analytics
Skills you'll need for this internship
provided by employer
How will you be compensated for this role?
Benefits for this internship
provided by employer
What happens after you send in your application?
Interviews for this role are expected to start on 09/25/23. If ORAM chooses not to move forward with your application, they will notify you.
Get email updates for the latest Communications Intern jobs in Minneapolis, MN
Understand more about this internship and other internships like this
People who completed this type of internship end up in the following types of jobs
That get hired for this type of internship
Speech Communication And Rhetoric5%
Business Administration Management And Operations5%
325 other majors49%
People who did this kind of internship end up at the following companies
(National average offered by employers)
For Plains region
Typical pay range:
$16.52 - $21.25
Learn how to get your resume noticed and nail that interview.
Build a better resume
98% of candidates are eliminated at the initial resume screening.Learn how to be in the 2%
Apply early and often
Apply early and apply often - the first 8 days of a job posting matter most.Tips for the application process
Prepare for the big interview
Do your research and practice your responses to make a lasting impression.How to ace your interview
Employers want to see that you’ve done your homework and are excited about the company.
Other essential interview questions:
More Interview Tips and Tricks