FLEXIBLE COMMITMENT SCHEDULE:
20 Hours/Week: Start Date APRIL 15 - SEPTEMBER, 2019
(DATE RANGES ARE FLEXIBLE- MINIMUM 8 WEEK INTERNSHIP)
Monday-Friday, 9:00am - 1:00 pm
Extension to Work Convention Available > 35+ Hours/Week August 24, 2019 Labor Day, September 1, 2019 (hotel accommodations provided)
Work will be performed in the Home Office, located in Vienna, VA (zip code 22182)
On-site convention support at the Hyatt Regency in Crystal City (zip code 22202)
Intern will report to the Executive Vice President and Executive Staff
This is an unpaid internship
Food options will be available while working at the Hyatt Regency
Room costs will be covered by the NOVA Open while working at the Hyatt Regency
As an Event Intern, you will be working with Executive Leadership and the Executive Board to plan and execute the annual NOVA Open Tabletop Wargaming Convention taking place at The Hyatt Regency in Crystal City August 28, 2019 September 1, 2019.
BACKGROUND & SCOPE of NOVA Open, LLC:
The NOVA Open is an internationally attended hobby and art convention focused on the subject of tabletop wargaming. It is one of the largest tabletop wargaming events in the world. Participants historically attend from all over North America, Europe, and Canada to compete in gaming tournaments, take hobby and art seminars, and submit their own artistic works for juried competitions. In addition to a dense schedule of social, educational, and competitive activities, the convention hosts an increasingly wide variety of industry vendors selling a diverse array of products and services.
Beginning in 2013, the founders of the NOVA Open also formalized the creation of the NOVA Open Charitable Foundation (NOCF), dedicated to raising resources in support of non-profits like Doctors Without Borders, the Breast Cancer Research Foundation, and Fisher House.
The NOVA Open is also highly active throughout the calendar year leading up to each annual convention. Staff and volunteers participate in a number of electronic and hands-on planning and production events, to include regular events, business development, newsletters, and both direct and viral internet marketing through Blogs, Forums, and popular news sites.
The NOVA Opens future plans include wider expansion into Arts and Entertainment, including juried fine arts exhibitions, concerts, and film events. Currently seeking warehouse for event
• Understand NOVA Open’s values and goals, and its importance to the community it represents. Use this understanding in the recommendations put forth for decisions.
• Maintain a courteous and professional image, and generate positive public relations with vendors, attendees, and staff.
• Understand the goals, objectives, and activities of each event to ensure successful event coordination.
• Attend monthly Board Meetings to maintain current status on convention events and activities, prepare monthly agenda, create minutes, assignments, and follow up.
• Perform tasks inherent to convention management including registration support, data entry, project tracking, and written requests for information from a number of contacts with follow up which will provide support for the monthly Newsletter
• Accumulation, layout, and completion of Guide Books.
• Assist with event registration preparation and onsite registration support at event.
• Provide excellent customer service for attendees either pre-event, onsite, and post event.
• Build and guide side events and activities to include: flash mob choreography, temporary tattoos, henna, scavenger hunt, elevator games, and more.
• Assist in organization, proofing, and ordering of prizes, awards, and certificates.
• Careful curation of Silent Auction items and raffle items.
• Keep detailed inventory of current and necessary hall supplies.
• Create itineraries for visiting Seminar Instructors and sponsors.
• Handle daily tasks as assigned by the Executive Vice President and Executive Administrator, other duties may be assigned.
High school seniors and graduates, college students/graduates seeking experience in their field, exposure to a good working environment, and the opportunity to build and develop an exceptional portfolio.
• Time management skills, a strong work ethic, and commitment are expected
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Strong interpersonal skills, especially in communication between multiple parties to collate and convey key information
• Proficient in Microsoft Office and Internet Explorer
• Outlook based management
• Unparalleled organization skills and attention to detail
• A sense of humor
BENEFITS of a NOVA Open/NOCF INTERNSHIP:
The NOVA Open is a business entering its 10th year with an average growth of 25-30% annually. An Internship with the NOVA Open/NOCF carries substantial responsibility and opportunity for real professional experience starting on day one. Internships are available to those seeking experience, focused on developing a strong portfolio. Intern will participate in web-based projects, research, writing, event planning and coordination, project management, logistics planning, and operations. Internship activities will be primarily office/desk-based, but will include opportunities for more physical and hands-on activities to include: artistic/hobby design-build projects, convention layout design, set-up, and break-down.
Interns will have opportunities to work with the NOVA Open Executive Board and NOCF Board of Directors, comprised of a diverse array of proven career professionals from numerous fields. These Boards include military officers, career executives, attorneys, proposal specialists, and a variety of management professionals from the Washington, DC area. In addition to rapidly accumulating substantial experience, interns will be able to interact with and earn references and recommendations from these successful and high-ranking members of the NOVA Open/NOCF Boards.