If you are a college student or recent graduate working towards launching your creative career, this is the internship for you!
Many students gain valuable knowledge from their college education but are not fully prepared for the challenges of self-promotion, business negotiation, and career management. This internship exposes you to all aspects of the creative world, with a business emphasis.
Ying Compestine, a world-renowned author and businesswoman, is looking for an editorial assistant. As a successful agent-less writer, Ying handles the business side of her career as well as the creative side. Some of her books are being adapted into movies, TV shows, and VR games.
This is an unpaid internship in exchange for invaluable mentoring. School credit may be available depending on the requirements of your institution. A 6-month commitment is required.
Hours: Approximately 10 hours per week, ideally over two or three weekdays. The position lasts 6 months, after which time there may be an opportunity for renewal.
This internship will build your communication skills, self-confidence, creativity, and organization, to prepare you for a more successful career ahead.
You will spend your time learning essential skills: market research, writing, editing, and business negotiation.
Exposure to publishing, film studios, and various businesses.
Participate with Ying as she works with the top editors and producers in the publishing and media industries.
Receive editorial advice on your writing and creative projects.
Receive close mentoring to help you identify your true passion and guidance to make the best career choice.
At the completion of the internship, Ying will act as your reference.
Ying has well-established global business connections so that you will be in good hands!
As one of her interns said: After this internship, I am ready to pursue any career and feel confident to take on any job.
Her office is walking distance from Lafayette BART.
• Researching, writing, editing, drafting business emails to movie studios, editors, and agents on behalf of the author
• Managing the author's travel schedule
• Organizing publicity photos
• Updating the author's social media (Facebook, LinkedIn, Wordpress blog)
Interns may be invited to accompany the author to public events, such as trade shows and conferences.
• Applicants must be in college or recently graduated. Graduate Students and college seniors preferred
• Excellent writing skills
• Strong grammar and organization skills
• Good time-management skills; thrives in a fast-paced, multitasking environment
• Skilled with Microsoft Word and PowerPoint
• Familiar with Gmail, social media (Facebook, LinkedIn), and mobile technology (smartphone, tablet)
• Interest in video and computer game production, video editing
• Photoshop knowledge a plus