Program Description: Outpatient Rehabilitation Therapies provides physical, occupational, speech and language therapies for children and adults to increase strength, mobility, communication, endurance and functional skills. An important component of Outpatient Rehabilitation Therapies is Assistive Technology Services which provides expertise to people with disabilities through the recommendation of products, devices, and custom equipment. Early Childhood Development Services, consisting of early intervention programs, provides individually designed therapy for developmentally delayed or at risk infants and children through age three. Early childhood special educators, therapists, social workers and others work together with parents to prepare each child and family for the eventual transition into a preschool program.
Internship Description: During a placement in the Therapy Department the intern would work as a program assistant in therapy play groups with Physical Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Speech-Language Pathologist, and Early Childhood Educators by setting up therapy rooms and activities, playing with and carrying out the childrens goals, and preparing various projects needed for therapy. Interns would be trained on developing picture communication systems and programming various assistive technology devices used for communicating by children and adults. Additional support duties to the departments would include creating therapy materials, clerical assistance, and general project support. There is also an opportunity for interns to observe professionals working in homes / daycares, and participate in staff meetings and organization-wide events for global understanding of the agency.
- Provide customer service in healthcare setting, helping family members, visitors, and caregivers
- Understand relationships among healthcare personnel, preferably in clinic setting
- Support therapy and administrative staff assisting in department goals
- Prefer student with experience in healthcare delivery system
- Perform well in environment that values compassion, helpfulness, patience, and resourcefulness
- Be a positive attribute to a team of therapists and administrative support, assisting in either area